Last week, I discussed what comedies should be nominated when Joel McHale and Sofia Vergara announce the Emmy nominees on July 8. Now it’s time for the most deserving drama nominees.

Breaking Bad

While most dramas become progressively lackluster year by year, “Breaking Bad” is one show that continues to improve with each passing season. Creator Vince Gilligan has conjured a philosophical, riveting and comically dark series much in the spirit of a Coen brothers’ movie.

Bryan Cranston continues to prevail as Walter White, a meth-baking chemist who digs himself deeper into hell with every passing episode, and Aaron Paul, emotionally charged as Walt’s recovering drug addict partner, Jesse Pinkman.

Damages

The third season of “Damages” was ultimately carried by the superb performances from Glenn Close, Rose Byrne and Martin Short in a surprising dramatic turn. FX unfortunately decided not to pick up the drama for a fourth season due to low ratings. This is a tad odd because I thought nobody watched FX anyway.

Dexter

“Dexter” broke new grounds in season four as serial killer and family man Dexter Morgan, played by Michael C. Hall in an Emmy caliber performance. Morgan went up against his greatest foe yet, John Lithgow’s Trinity Killer—television’s equivalent to Hannibal Lector.

This was a heart-pounding season that led to a shocking finale as Dexter enters his bathroom to discover…actually I probably shouldn’t give that information away in case you haven’t seen it.

Lost

The responses to the final season of “Lost” have been mixed.

Some have described the ending as a beautiful and poetic way to end the series while others have deemed it the worst ending since “The Sopranos” cut to black in mid-sentence.

No ending to “Lost” could ever be perfect. We all had different visions of how the show should have ended. Whenever you develop a series with a cult following as strong as “Lost,” it’s impossible to please everyone. Nevertheless, I believe the final season of “Lost” was television at its premium.

"Lost" has been a drama that’s truly about something—a show about redemption, love, life and faith. The finale was one of the most thrilling, touching and confusing two-and-a-half hours of television I’ve ever witnessed and deserves the Emmy for Outstanding Directing.

Mad Men

While not without a couple of dry patches, the third season of “Mad Men” flourished with sophisticated writing and outstanding acting.

This season included numerous historic moments such as Lois running over McKendrick’s foot with a John Deere riding mower, everybody learning of President Kennedy’s assassination and Betty finally confronting Don about his mysterious past.

Leads Jon Hamm and January Jones are at the top of their games as Don and Betty Draper, two people trapped in a loveless marriage on the verge of collapsing. But the dominating force of “Mad Men” continues to be Elisabeth Moss as Peggy Olson.

True Blood

With exception to the two girls and one-cup viral video and the sex scene in “Spilce,” “True Blood” may very well be the most messed up thing ever conceived.

Nevertheless, it’s still an entertaining program, blowing those “Twilight” movies out of the water.

Season two was elevated by interesting ideas about vampire rights with strong performances from Oscar-winner Anna Paquin as Sookie, Deborah Ann Woll as Jessica and the scene-stealing Michelle Forbes as the wicked Maryann.

24

Season six and seven of “24” never quite lived up to the pinnacle fifth season. However, the eighth, and final, season recaptured much of what made the first seasons so great with stellar action, suspense and rich characters.

Fortunately, this isn’t the last we’ve seen of Kiefer Sutherland’s Jack Bauer, who will be appearing in a “24” movie set to be released within the next few years.

Reach Nick at nspake@asu.edu

×