The 62nd Annual Emmy Awards will be broadcast Aug. 29.  Here’s a critique of the nominees:

Comedy series:

“Curb Your Enthusiasm”

“Modern Family”

“Glee”

“Nurse Jackie”

“The Office”

“30 Rock”

“Community” deserves to be there more than “Nurse Jackie.” The most comical thing about that show is Edie Falco’s obnoxious haircut.

“Modern Family” is deserving of the nod most definitely, despite its lead mother and father being hard to swallow as a couple.

Also, this isn’t the 2008 Emmy Awards. What is “The Office” doing there?

Drama series:

“Breaking Bad”

“Dexter”

“The Good Wife”

“Lost”

“Mad Men”

“True Blood”

It’s the battle between AMC shows in this one, as the third season of “Mad Men” gradually turned into one of its most triumphant yet, and the third season of “Breaking Bad” seemingly ended every episode in a cliffhanger. However, “Lost” may receive the award as a farewell, but that’s the only competition really.

There is “Dexter,” but, remember folks, it’s on Showtime. HBO is where the winners hang out, and “Mad Men” has a winning record in its favor.

Outstanding Actress In A Comedy Series:

Lea Michele, “Glee”

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, “New Adventures of Old Christine”

Edie Falco, “Nurse Jackie”

Amy Poehler, “Parks and Recreation”

Tina Fey, “30 Rock”

Toni Collette, “The United States of Tara”

Toni Collette won it last year for her schizophrenic character in “The United States of Tara,” which is penned by Diablo Cody, who, for me, is the kiss of death.  I didn’t even know “New Adventures of blah blah blah” was still on the air, to be honest, and Amy Poehler doesn’t deserve a statue for her Michael Scott impression - though in the latter half of the season she developed her own character. I’m betting on Fey for this one.

Outstanding Actor In A Comedy Series:

Jim Parsons, “The Big Bang Theory”

Larry David, “Curb Your Enthusiasm”

Tony Shalhoub, “Monk”

Steve Carell, “The Office”

Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock”

Matthew Morrison, “Glee”

It’s going to be Alec. That’s about all that needs to be said. Well, not really. Jim Parsons is going to win it one of these days. His portrayal of “mega-geek with the social sense of a fine Persian rug” Sheldon Cooper is due at some point.

Shalhoub was great in the final season of “Monk,” and David was great as himself, but it’s going to Alec. Sad to see Jeremy Piven as Ari Gold not make the list, but he did win it three times straight from 2006 to 2008.

Outstanding Actor In A Drama Series:

Bryan Cranston, “Breaking Bad”

Michael C. Hall, “Dexter”

Kyle Chandler, “Friday Night Lights”

Hugh Laurie, “House”

Matthew Fox, “Lost” (his first Emmy nomination)

Jon Hamm, “Mad Men”

This is probably the only category where just about everyone deserves it, though there can only be one. That one will probably be Cranston for his role as the chemist-turned-high school chemistry teacher-turned-cancer-victim-turned-meth-chef-extraordinaire Walter White in “Breaking Bad.”

Cranston has won the last two years, but his colleague at AMC, Evil Dr. Porkchop himself, Jon Hamm, could be due this year.

It’s great to see Kyle Chandler get a nom for his role as the heartfelt Coach Taylor on “Friday Night Lights.”

Glad to see that Matthew Fox got some recognition for his role in “Lost.” His performance was good enough for a nomination but not a win.

Outstanding Actress In A Drama Series:

Kyra Sedgwick, “The Closer”

Glenn Close, “Damages”

Connie Britton, “Friday Night Lights”

Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife”

Mariska Hargitay, “Law & Order: SVU”

January Jones, “Mad Men”

Surprising to see Connie Britton in there, but none of these nominations are undeserved.

“Friday Night Lights” is one of the best things barely on TV right now, and the more nominations, the better.

Sedgewick’s character always rubbed me the wrong way. Close won it last year, so chances are it’ll be her again.

Though, January Jones really broke out in the third season of “Mad Men” and did a good job of getting me to despise Betts, so that’s got to count for something.

Reach the fabulous Preston at pmelbour@asu.edu

×