Smoothie shop, renovated market to open in Memorial Union

SERWAA ADU-TUTU | THE STATE PRESS
UNDER CONSTRUCTION: The MU is currently under construction, adding new stores and remodeling old ones. The project in set to be finished in August.
SERWAA ADU-TUTU | THE STATE PRESS UNDER CONSTRUCTION: The MU is currently under construction, adding new stores and remodeling old ones. The project in set to be finished in August.

There will be new changes coming to ASU’s Memorial Union this fall, including a renovated and renamed Devils’ Market and a new yogurt and smoothie shop.

Krystal Nelson, the marketing manager for ARAMARK Higher Education, an organization that runs food-related enterprises at over 600 North American campuses, said the Devils’ Market, soon to be Provisions on Demand (P.O.D.), will be renovated before the fall semester starts.

“It’s a whole new concept, so everything will be different,” Nelson said.

She said the appearance will be more modern and similar to Hassayampa Corner Market, a small convenience store at Hassayampa Academic Village, but on a larger scale, though the full details haven’t been figured out yet.

The construction began in June, and the new store will “meet the demand of students looking for fresh, healthy and convenient grab ‘n go dining options,” she wrote in an e-mail.

The temporary location for Devils’ Market is in front of Jump Asian Express in the Memorial Union.

There will be breakfast, lunch and other food options, including convenience store items, she said.

More nutritional information for food will also be available, including where the food came from, Nelson said. Items will have labels: vegan, organic, kosher, low-carb, gluten-free, locally grown and fair trade.

Freshëns, which claims to be the largest frozen yogurt and smoothie company in the nation, will take Cold Stone Creamery’s spot in the Memorial Union, Nelson said.

Steve Kibler, the vice president of business development for Freshëns, said the company has a long-standing relationship with ARAMARK.

“It’s a great opportunity in terms of bringing a relevant product to campus,” Kibler said.

He said Freshëns has all-natural ingredients, fresh fruit and yogurt.

The store at ASU would be the only location in Arizona, though he said more stores might open in Phoenix, including a spot at Sky Harbor airport in 2011.

Reach the reporter at reweaver@asu.edu

×