Admissions process changes to attract international students

FOREIGN LANGUAGE: Kathleen Evans-Romaine, Phd. runs an orientation for Central Asia Language Studies at ASU. (Photo by Annie Wechter)

In an effort to draw more international students, the University is beginning a conditional admissions process that accepts students who aren’t proficient in English when they apply.

Academically qualified international students who do not speak English well enough to enroll in ASU may now be admitted to the University, said Mark Rentz, the director of the American English Cultural Program, an intensive English language program at ASU.

As part of the conditional admission, students have to complete course work at ASU’s American English Cultural Program or pass an English proficiency test in order to enroll in classes, he said.

In previous years, international students had to complete the intensive English language program or pass the test before being accepted to the University, Rentz said.

“Wherever we go, there will be some students … that will be attracted to this,” Rentz said.

More than 3,500 international students enrolled at ASU last year, according to the International Enrollment Report for fall 2009. There were almost twice as many students enrolled in graduate-level programs as undergraduate-level programs.

Kathleen Fairfax, vice provost of ASU’s Center for Global Education Services, said many undergraduate students were passing up ASU because they wanted a school that offered conditional enrollment.

“The competition for international students has really increased,” Fairfax said in an e-mail. “It’s primarily financial. International students represent full fee-paying nonresident students.”

Fairfax added that she thought the program would grow through personal recommendations because there are so many American universities and it’s hard for students to choose.

“International admissions is kind of funny because it’s still very word-of-mouth,” she said.

Rentz said he has recruited students from Asia, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East and North Africa to enroll in the intensive English language program.

Rentz found international students were attracted to conditional enrollment because it is less of a risk for them to commit to attending English classes at a university that has already accepted them.

Rentz said he has already seen a response from students from China. Last year, the AECP admitted 25 Chinese students, and this year they have admitted 50.

He said he expects 10 to 15 percent more international students enrolling in the intensive language program as a result of the conditional admission agreement.

Kent Hopkins, vice provost for ASU’s Enrollment Management said, he expects to see “very healthy and very encouraging” numbers for international enrollment this year.

“[It’s] a lot clearer approach than what we have done in the past,” Hopkins said. “It provides a direct portal to ASU.”

Abdulhadi Al Ayash, a student from Saudi Arabia in the intensive language program, plans to major in chemical engineering.

He said he wanted to attend ASU and enrolled in the intensive language program as a result.

Al Ayash added he was happy with his decision to study in the United States.

“The degrees here are famous in every country,” Al he said.

Reach the reporter at mary.shinn@asu.edu

×