ASU basketball coach, Herb Sendek,  received his first commitment for the class of 2011 over the weekend, but it was no ordinary commitment, it was a big one.

Top point guard prospect, Jahii Carson, gave the ASU coaching staff his verbal commitment to the school during an unofficial visit on Saturday.

The 5-foot-10-inch Carson, who is currently ranked as the 49th best player and the 10th best point guard in the class of 2011 by Rivals.com, averaged 23.5 points and 7.5 assists per game for Mesa High School last season.

The Sun Devils will have a void to fill following the graduation of current ASU point guard, Jamelle McMillan, after this season, and Carson was Sendek’s top choice for the position.

Carson is the first big-time, in-state recruit that Sendek has landed during his tenure at ASU.  Sendek also gives ASU a top-50 recruit for the second straight year, with Keala King coming to campus this season.

Carson drew interest from top recruiting colleges including Arizona, Alabama, California, Kentucky, Marquette, Memphis, North Carolina, Oregon, St. John’s, UCLA and Washington.

×