Forty-seven years ago on Aug. 28, 1963, my grandfather took his son for his birthday to see one of the most revered and transformative speakers of the 20th century, Martin Luther King Jr. Little did my father know, King would deliver his infamous “I Have a Dream” speech.

The March on Washington and King’s speech helped pave the way for The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act a year later. Among other rights guaranteed, the landmark acts prohibited discrimination in public places and outlawed discriminatory voting practices.

This year Aug. 28 brought thousands of people to the hallowed steps of the Lincoln Memorial where King delivered his message, but not to honor King or the civil rights movement, but rather, to “Restore Honor” to America. Glenn Beck, the fiery, aggressive, provocateur of Fox News Channel, provided further proof of his influence over the political right by bringing in thousands to hear him and Sarah Palin say how to reclaim their country.

Beck mocked the media’s attack on his error in choosing the same date as King’s speech, saying, “I knew it was about civil rights and injustice, but I’m sorry, media, that I forgot the, oh so important, detail of the date.”

John Lewis, a civil rights activist and speaker at the march, had a bone to pick after a Beck tangent when he yelled at a group of democrats, including Lewis, for locking arms during the health care battle on Congress as fake civil rights activists.

By saying “We will reclaim the civil rights movement” because progressives have distorted King’s dream, Beck displayed his narcissistic personality and blatant miscalculation of history.

Do we want someone who claims our sitting president has a “deep-seated hatred for white people” as our spokesman for the civil rights movement?

The same man who said: “I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church website. If you find it, run as fast as you can,” can not reclaim a movement led by a man who said, “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice anywhere.”

The arduous path of Martin Luther King Jr. to the Lincoln Memorial was the culmination of years of patience, progress and negotiation. Glenn Beck’s path to the steps of the Lincoln Memorial has been one of fear-mongering, conspiracy theories and false assertions on his radio and television network.

With great pride I say my father was at the March on Washington 47 years ago to hear a leader who fundamentally transformed society. And while the march this Saturday was an exercise of our First Amendment rights, the hundreds of thousands of people at the “Restoring Honor” rally have a responsibility to understand Beck is not the leader this country needs to reclaim the civil rights movement, but a man trying to hijack Dr. King’s pure legacy.

Reach Zach at Zachary.Levin-Epstein@asu.edu

×