Bravo to the 20-something-year-old generation for stickin’ it to tradition and stopping to smell the roses along the way. According to a recent New York Times magazine article, people in their 20’s are waiting about a decade longer than their parents to settle down, get a “real” job and grow up. And they’re doing so in favor of traveling and volunteering abroad. The article makes it sound like we all have arrested development, but, really, what’s the rush? In this day and age, people live longer and we’d be doing a disservice to those foreign language requirements by not putting it to some use. Also, starting a career is a lot harder with a family to provide for and vice versa. So live it up while you can, Peter Pans.

Boo to Stauffer Hall. The building itself might not be to blame for Thursday’s evacuation, which police said was caused by smoke from some equipment inside, but if you’ve ever had class there, you know what we mean. The home of the Hugh Downs School of Human Communication rests in the shadows of the much more attractive Coor Hall, so it’s easy to walk past the concrete dungeon every day and never notice it. We imagine students would have been thrilled to learn they didn’t have to enter the building yesterday, but with Blackboard and e-mail outages, they probably didn’t find out until walking there anyway.

Bravo to the free Artists for Action concert at Marquee today. Local artists and concert promoters are finally making some noise against the Sound Strike boycott of Arizona, which asked touring performers to remove Arizona shows in protest of the Immigration reform bill. Other than a free concert that showcases some great local talent, admission is free with proof of voter registration or those who register on-site. Maybe we can show those artists we have supported, like Rage Against the Machine, Conor Oberst and Pitbull, a little about using our voices instead of silence to make a difference.

Boo to “Avatar: Special Edition.” Nothing says ‘sore loser’ more than re-releasing this movie. Nothing against the blue people, but will you just go away already? You didn’t win best picture, and eight additional minutes in 3D won’t change a thing about how we feel toward the already too-long film — not even with the new creatures and action scenes. Leave a little to the imagination, Cameron. Move on.

Bravo to the woman that ran onto the field carrying a Mexican flag during the third inning of the Diamondbacks game against the Padres on Wednesday night. Not because of her protest against the immigration bill, but because for one moment, just one single moment, a Diamondbacks game was worth watching. But in classic Diamondbacks style, the team gave up seven runs over the next two innings, recorded two errors and finished with eight strikeouts at the plate for a 9-3 loss.

Follow The State Press on Twitter or like us on Facebook.

×