Everything does not appear to be everything on the set of ESPN’s popular show “Around the Horn.”

Over the weekend Fanhouse.com columnist and frequent ATH panelist Jay Mariotti was arrested and charged with a felony after his girlfriend was found cut and bruised at their Los Angeles-area apartment.

The 51-year-old was released Saturday afternoon on $50,000 bail after only a few hours in jail.

By then, however, the public backlash was already in full swing.

The Twitter universe ramped and raved as it so often does, and the raw jubilation displayed even prompted Mariotti’s ESPN colleague Dan LeBatard to write an essay.

“Mariotti can’t beg and plead for fairness and due process and compassion, and expect to get it, when he is so often reluctant to extend it himself,” Lebatard wrote on thebiglead.com.

The program, which will not air again until Aug. 30, will be must-see TV just on the off chance that frequent panelist and Denver Post columnist Woody Paige writes a message to his nemesis on his chalkboard.

I can see it now: “Mariotti is Italian for don’t drop the soap.”

By the way, I wonder how many mutes he’d garner for beating up his girlfriend … allegedly.

Reach the reporter at temerick@asu.edu

×