Around the Glenn

(In response to Zach Levin-Epstein’s Monday column “'Beck'oning the masses.”)

Our resident Messiah-in-Chief has exploded on the scene to “restore honor” to this country, returning this nation to God and making all right again ­– or what Glenn [Beck] believes is right.  And since he seems to have an endless supply of knowledge, pontificating upon every subject under the sun with no shred of humility, go ahead, Glenn, expound away.

But first, hold on a minute, Glenn: are you saying I have no honor since I disagree with you? Talk about pre-emptive ad hominem attacks! So tell me, Glenn, where has my honor gone? Since when do you have a monopoly on honor? Oh Glenn, please tell me where I have strayed. Was it in Iraq, where I served? Have I lost my honor while in this University, having been brainwashed by this leftist cabal of educators?

I hope my sarcasm isn’t lost on you. In the face of new circumstances I try to determine what I should do, and I mean that in the philosophical sense. I have my opinion, but I also understand that others have theirs as well. As long as their opinion is thought out and not abhorrent, such as calling for the elimination of groups of people based upon their beliefs or race, I’ll listen. And sometimes I even learn things from people I disagree with. Unbelievable, huh? As a very smart man once said centuries ago: when you are righter than your neighbor you have become a majority of one. Glenn, you are truly a majority of one. In an age of plurality, maybe you should do more listening and less preaching. Maybe that silent majority you claim as yours is just rolling its eyes, waiting to be given a chance to speak. See, I believe this silent majority believes in a quiet dignity, perhaps just maybe the one subject you haven’t fully mastered yet.  But I’m sure you will by your next show.

Andrew Kroll

Student

×