Offense displays multiple threats in scrimmage

(Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)
(Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

It’s a head coach’s trump card against the prodding of the press: the secret answer lies in the videotape.

No, coach Dennis Erickson did not name a starting quarterback for the ASU football team after Saturday’s intra-squad scrimmage, nor did he acknowledge a decision had been made.

“I’ll evaluate it,” Erickson said. “There are so many things that you guys think you see out here but when you look at tape, it might be a little different, so I have to evaluate (now).”

As Sun Devil fans await the naming of the lead signal-caller, those that woke early enough to brave the sweltering heat and humidity could be all but certain of two things: Either junior Steven Threet or sophomore Brock Osweiler will start, and that player is likely to improve ASU’s offensive production from 2009.

“I think they both did some really good things today,” Erickson said. “The biggest thing I can say is the improvement from them from spring football to camp to now is unbelievable that they made that kind of improvement; I think that’s what competition does.”

Osweiler and Threet both played two possessions with the first team offense and each directed touchdown drives of ten plays or more.

Threet completed nine of 15 passes for 97 yards.  He also ran the ball three times for 19 yards, including a two-yard touchdown run on his first possession.

Osweiler completed nine of 14 passes for 79 yards, including a 19-yard touchdown pass to senior Kerry Taylor in the back of the end zone on his second drive. Osweiler also ran the ball three times for six yards.

The offense’s display seemed a stark contrast to last year’s last intra-squad scrimmage, which was dominated by the defense.

Both quarterbacks found targets all over the field, including Threet’s 20-yard completion to highly regarded junior transfer Mike Willie down the seam, and Osweiler’s rollout darts to a bevy of pass-catchers on the sideline.

In all, an astounding 17 players caught passes from ASU quarterbacks, including junior Samson Szakacsy who was six-of-nine for 53 yards and freshman Taylor Kelly who was two-of-four for 12 yards.

While the Sun Devils’ defense did provide pressure in the backfield at times, including four sacks, the offensive line was not bullied as in the previous two years.

“I feel like we're all on the same page," junior offensive tackle Dan Knapp said. "We're doing things more as a unit rather than individually. The biggest difference overall is we're starting to fill a leadership role on the team, starting to go against the defensive guys and really show them what's up."

Injury update

Erickson shortened the scrimmage due to a lack of healthy bodies on the defensive front.

Both freshman Lee Adams and sophomore defensive end Toa Tuitea were out with injuries and sophomore standout defensive tackle Will Sutton was limited by back issues, though Erickson said it is not serious.

Run game improving

Sophomore Cameron Marshall had seven carries for 23 yards in the scrimmage, while freshman Deantre Lewis had seven carries for five yards. Sophomore James Morrison added 17 yards on seven carries and sophomore Jamal Miles added 11 yards on three carries.

While their averages-per-carry were low, each back displayed the attributes that have many believing the Sun Devils’ ground game could be improved from last year.

Defensive quick hits

Sophomore linebacker Vontaze Burfict, named a preseason All-American by Sporting News, blocked a punt... Junior defensive tackle Bo Moos, junior defensive end Jamaar Jarrett, senior tackle Saia Falahola and sophomore defensive end Greg Smith were each credited with a sack … Senior kicker Thomas Weber made field goals from 35 and 47 yards but missed from 45 yards.

Reach the reporter at nruland@asu.edu

×