Runner beats injury and illness to compete for ASU

BATTLING BACK: Redshirt junior cross country runner Camille Olson warms up at practice Monday. Olson has fought back from multiple injuries to resume her collegiate career. (Photo by Andy Jeffreys)

A complicated illness couldn’t stop her, nor could a slew of demoralizing injuries.

Through it all, ASU cross country runner Camille Olson has remained focused on working her way back to competing for the Sun Devils.

The State Press caught up with the redshirt junior to talk about her struggles, pre-race routine and more.

The State Press: You’ve been injured a lot in the past few years. What all have you been through?

Camille Olson: I had a couple stress fractures — one in my femur, two in my tibia — in different legs. Last semester, I strained my meniscus, so that had me out for three to four months. I’ve only been running for a couple months now.

SP: Does being injured off and on like that have any effect on your morale or your willingness to compete?

CO: I feel like if you’re a runner, you never lose that willingness to compete. It definitely does mess with you mentally a little bit, [but] more so, it messes with you physically. I’m finding it a lot harder to get a base. You’ve just got to be strong, because you have a team to support. I’m only truly going to be healthy when it (last year’s meniscus injury) is not in the back of my mind anymore.

SP: How does your body feel now? Do you feel well-rested, healthy, and ready for the upcoming season?

CO: I’m definitely ready for the upcoming season. I’m excited to race, and I’m hoping that I’m going to get to race. With all those injuries, I just have to take it day by day.

SP: When did you start running cross country?

CO: My sophomore year in high school. I got really sick my freshman year and found out I had Celiac disease (an autoimmune disorder that causes fatigue and other symptoms), and they made me stop playing soccer, made me stop exercising, period. I had to wean myself up to working out, where I was able to walk my dog everyday. Then I was able to run for 10 minutes, and then run for 20 minutes, and I just realized I kind of liked the running. I [came out for cross country], loved it, and have been doing it ever since.

SP: Tell me a little about your pre-race routine. Are you superstitious at all?

CO: I wear two totally different socks when I race. The night before the race, I usually have Pad Thai, which is a gluten-free Thai meal. Other than that, I try not to be too superstitious. I feel like as a leader on the team, you can’t freak out too much. You just have to stay calm.

SP: What do you anticipate your role on the team will be this year?

CO: Right now, I like being a leader on the side. Obviously because of all of my injuries, I’m not in the top of the runners right now, so I’ve taken a sort of backseat leadership role. I’ve been here the longest on the team, and I have experience trophying at the national level. I hope to bring that experience to these guys, so we can do it again.

SP: You were an All-American in high school, and you are one of only a handful of women to run for ASU from Sandra Day O’Conner High School in Phoenix. What factored into your decision to come here? What were your expectations as a freshman runner coming to ASU?

CO: Definitely the ASU legacy was a part of it. My mom lives close, and I didn’t really want to be far away from my family. I just got lucky coming here. I love [coach] Louie [Quintana], I love his training and I loved what he wanted to do with the team. My freshman year, I thought I would just train, but it just so happened that I was able to compete, and run at nationals and trophy. It was definitely beyond my wildest expectations.

SP: What is your relationship with coach Quintana like?

CO: With all my injuries and everything, I totally believe I wouldn’t be running today if it weren’t for Louie. He’s been such a great coach to me. With all the ups and the downs, he’s always there to support me.

SP: What are your expectations for this upcoming season, both individually and as a team?

CO: Individually, my goal is to be running for my team at nationals. It’s also to stay healthy, remain supportive, and try to be a good leader on the team. For the team, whether I’m there or not, we can be top five at nationals, no doubt.

×