Tequila bar to continue upscale trend on Mill Ave.

ADDING CLASS: Canteen, a new Tequila bar, is planned to open this fall on Mill avenue. Owner of La Bocca and of Canteen, Julian Wright hopes that new bar adds a bit of class to Mill. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

The owner of an upcoming addition to the local bar scene wants his bar to add class to Mill Avenue.

Former ASU student Julian Wright, the owner of another Mill eatery — La Bocca Urban Pizzeria and Wine Bar — said his new tequila bar is designed to be hip and modern with rustic Mexican elements. Like his other establishments, Wright wants Canteen Modern Tequila Bar, expected to open Oct. 7, to be “upscale casual.”

“The canteen will be more sophisticated than some of the other bars on Mill, but not pretentious,” Wright said.

Customers can expect to find a selection of 120 to 150 varieties of 100-percent agave tequila and full lunch and dinner menus featuring gourmet tacos.

He hopes this kind of atmosphere will appeal not only to college students, but even to people over 50.

He points out that the recent openings of pricier places, like La Bocca Pizzeria and the Irish bar Robbie Fox’s, are the beginning of a trend toward making Mill Avenue a place that is not exclusive to college students.

“With places like La Bocca, Canteen and [Robbie Fox’s] opening up on Mill, there is no more polarization,” Wright said.

Mike Aiton, general manager of Robbie Fox’s, said Mill Avenue is becoming more of a place for people of all ages to mix together. He believes that college students are becoming more sophisticated when it comes to the kinds of bars they want to go to, creating a market for more upscale places like Canteen Modern Tequila Bar on Mill Avenue.

“Young adults are more educated about beers and liquors and are looking for better quality at nicer establishments,” Aiton said. “They’re wanting to go somewhere where they aren’t treated like cattle.”

Interdisciplinary studies senior Christine Lajambre, the marketing director for Robbie Fox’s, said the shift to more upscale businesses on Mill Avenue is necessary for the area to compete with other business districts in the Valley.

“It’s important that Mill gets a classier look in order to stay on top of its game,” Lajambre said. “It needs to be able to compete with all of the fancy bars that are opening up in Scottsdale and Chandler.”

Aiton said Robbie Fox’s has seen a lot of success by offering a more upscale atmosphere. He said that since its Feb. 5 opening, the restaurant has become so popular that the patio area was recently expanded to accommodate its growing amount of customers.

He said he looks forward to Canteen Modern Tequila Bar, which is opening up next door to Robbie Fox’s, because he believes the restaurant will bring a lot more business to the corner of Sixth Street and Mill Avenue.

“A rising tide helps all boats float,” Aiton said.

All located on the corner of Sixth Street and Mill Avenue, Canteen Modern Tequila Bar, Robbie Fox’s and Fat Tuesday’s plan to work together to help each others’ businesses, Aiton said.

Large enough to seat 300 people, Canteen Modern Tequila Bar will mainly be a patio bar and will extend to the surrounding bars, Wright said.

Aiton suggests for Fat Tuesday’s to expand its patio so that, in the future, all three establishments will have connecting patios. This will allow customers to go from place to place without having to leave one bar and wait in line to get into another.

A spokesperson for Fat Tuesday’s was unable to be reached at press time.

×