University plans to boost spirit, attendance at football games

SCHOOL SPIRIT: ASU's administration has put together a program to get more students involved in the ASU athletics department. (Photo courtesy of Chris Stark)

As the football team prepares to battle Portland State in its season opener Saturday, ASU’s athletics department is gearing up for a fight of its own: combating low attendance at sporting events.

The Game Day Initiative was designed to increase student turnout at football and men’s basketball games. It kicks off Thursday at noon with pep rallies on all four ASU campuses.

Associate Athletic Director Bill Kennedy said the program will focus on three goals: to increase student attendance at both football and men’s basketball games by 25 percent, to teach and enhance the student body about University traditions and spirit, and to unite all four campuses.

State Press Television By Arielle Hurst

“What the three goals help you achieve is that students then feel connected to the University,” Kennedy said.

The estimated cost for the initiative is $200,000 for the first year, said Julie Kipper, associate director of Campus Recreation.

The funding is coming from student government on all four campuses and ASU administration, she said. ASU’s Intercollegiate Athletics is organizing the effort along with the Educational Outreach and Student Services department.

Recently, ASU has had trouble filling Sun Devil Stadium for all of the home football games, Kennedy said.

“I think what has happened in the past is that for the bigger games, we get a great student turnout,” Kennedy said. “For the games that aren’t as big, obviously the turnout, not only for students but for fans in general, is a lot less.”

By implementing the Game Day Initiative, the athletic department and ASU administration plan to promote both pride and tradition among students.

“What we’re trying to promote is that it’s ASU playing, regardless of who the opponent is,” Kennedy said. “So if you’re a Sun Devil, or if you’re a student here, then being a Sun Devil means going to the games regardless of who is here. We have a loud and vibrant student section that makes it one of the toughest places in the country to play, and so we just want to do everything to promote that.”

There will be events taking place on every campus throughout the entire school year, Kipper said.

“We are trying to build spirit and tradition on campus,” Kipper said. “We want to make sure that everyone understands that it’s about spirit and pride and it’s not just a one-day or two-day type thing.”

During football season, the campuses will be decorated by the Student Alumni Association every Wednesday night for both home and away games, Kipper said.

In addition, there will be a “Pitchfork Pep Rally” every Thursday at noon on all campuses. For every home game, there will also be a pre-game tailgate party on the south lawn of Wells Fargo Arena on the Tempe campus, Kennedy said.

Students can also receive their student section wristbands at the pre-game tailgate party at every home game.

This Saturday, as part of the pre-game activities, State Press Television will be hosting a live webcast at the tailgate party, conducting interviews with ASU alumni and providing an analysis of the upcoming season.

Journalism senior Adam Ferrero hopes these new events make a positive impact on the student section at Sun Devil Stadium.

“[The program] will give [ASU] a brighter future for the student fan base,” Ferrero said. “I hope students get involved in it. There’s no reason not to; you’re only here for four years.”

The athletic department is now finalizing plans for the football season events and will soon begin planning specific events for the men’s basketball season, Kennedy said.

In seasons to come, the sports and recreation departments hope to implement Game Day Initiative within the University’s other teams and activities, though men’s basketball and football was a “natural starting point” for the first year, Kipper said.

Reach the reporter at cottens@asu.edu

×