Young swim and dive team aiming high in 10-11

In one of the nation’s most competitive swimming and diving conferences, an abundance of youth could be reason to worry.

The ASU swimming and diving team, however, sees its young core of new and returning talent as long-term strength, starting with a strong 2010 season.

The majority of ASU’s male swimmers are new, but expectations are high.

“Three-fourths of our men’s team is new,” coach Dorsey Tierney-Walker said. “I just can’t wait to see where we can go with it.”

Despite their youth, the return of junior Xavier Mohammed and sophomore Stephen Estes will provide the Sun Devils with leadership and experience.

Mohammed was the team’s most versatile swimmer a year ago and used the offseason to improve his strength, Walker said.

Beginning this season, Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara will join the Pac-10 Conference as affiliate members in men’s swimming and diving.

The conference is already one of the best men’s swimming conferences in the nation and adding two more teams will only make it tougher.

“In men’s swimming we could be top 10 in the country before we are top five in the conference,” Walker said.

Walker expects a very productive year on the women’s side as well.

“I would like to have a number of people at the NCAA Championships,” Walker said. “I think we can be in the top 15.”

Junior Rebecca Ejdervik, an All-American last year will return and, by Walker’s assessment, is only going to get better.

The ASU women will also welcome back junior Jordyn Green, sophomore Cassie Morrice and senior Shannon Garrett, among others.

Sun Devil freshman Tristin Baxter joins the team with plenty of accolades, coming to ASU from Clovis West High School in Fresno, Calif. after being named high school swimmer of the year by The Fresno Bee three times.

The diving team will look nearly identical this season, as there is just one new addition to the women’s team and none to the men’s.

ASU freshman Hailey Casper is the lone addition to the team, joining the Sun Devils from Canada.

Though she is only a freshman, she will bring experience including a gold medal at the 2009 Canada Games. She also won gold and silver medals at the Speedo Junior National Championships.

The majority of the divers competed at various events throughout the summer and head diving coach Mark Bradshaw was pleased with the results.

“Everyone had a great summer,” Bradshaw said. “It will lead into, hopefully, another great year.”

Bradshaw is particularly excited about the return of sophomore diver Riley McCormick, who was last year’s Pac-10 Diver of the Year. McCormick’s stock is rising and Bradshaw thinks he can repeat as Pac-10 platform champion.

“Even though he was only a freshman [last year], he’s a veteran,” Bradshaw said. “Competition at this level is nothing new to him.”

ASU also returns sophomore Constantin Blaha, last year’s Pac-10 3-meter champion. Blaha represented Austria at the 2008 Olympics and placed 22nd on the 3-meter springboard.

The season kick offs for the swimmers with the UA duals Oct. 15 in Tucson.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×