Colorado to make Pac-10 move in 2011

The Pac-10 Conference announced Wednesday that Colorado will join the conference for the 2011 season.

In a statement on the conference’s website, Commissioner Larry Scott said the move came earlier than expected

“Our plans all along were for them to join the Conference in 2012, so this puts the Pac-12 ahead of schedule, which is great news,” Scott said. “With Colorado and Utah coming on board next year, we are tremendously excited about the future of the Conference.”

Utah will also join the conference for the 2011 season.

CU announced in June that it would leave the Big 12 Conference to join the Pac-10.

According to an Associated Press report, CU will lose $6.86 million by leaving the Big 12 early.

The university was prepared to pay up to $9 million, CU Chancellor Phil DiStefano told the AP. DiStefano also said the Conference will likely loan CU the money lost, which will be paid back later.

According to the report, CU athletic director Mike Bohn will schedule one additional non-conference football game for the 2011 season, as a previously scheduled game with California will now be a conference match up.

Bohn also said the early move would likely boost ticket sales, recruiting and donor investments.

The early arrivals of CU and Utah increase the likelihood that a conference title game will be played following the 2011 season.

×