Who needs LeBron James?

Or Dwyane Wade? Or Kobe Bryant? Or Carmelo Anthony?

You get the idea.

The entire roster of the gold medal-winning 2008 U.S. men’s Olympic basketball team is absent from the FIBA World Championships taking place now in Turkey, but the young roster of replacements is doing just fine on their own.

Led by the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Kevin Durant, Team USA is turning heads across the water. Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose is sparking the offense with humility. Los Angeles Clippers guard Eric Gordon is playing some of the best basketball of his career.

The squad of rising stars and quiet leaders just waltzed its way to first place in its preliminary group.

Well, waltz might be too strong a word. The US team did just barely beat Brazil and there were times during yesterday’s 88-51 win over Iran that the team looked sloppy.

This may not be the ‘Redeem Team’ that brought home gold in Beijing, but I prefer it. There are no egos. There’s no drama. No flashy, boisterous celebrations. There’s just good, entertaining basketball.

I’ll take a humble Durant and hardworking Tyson Chandler over the arrogant James and spoiled Anthony any day.

×