Football preparing for early-striking Oregon offense

SECRET AGENT: Redshirt junior wide receiver Aaron Pflugard could offer some insight on the way No. 5 Oregon works, as he transferred from the school before last season. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

The University of Oregon starts games like Mike Tyson started bouts in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

In its last eight regular season games, the Ducks have averaged 13 points in the first quarter. Last week against Portland State, they scored 21 points in under five minutes. Due to Oregon’s spread option scheme and vast array of speedy weapons, it often shocks opponents out of the gate.

“I think they jump on people for a number of reasons,” ASU coach Dennis Erickson said. “I mean, they also have awfully good players. It takes a period of time in that game to get used to it, no question about it.”

Last year when the Sun Devils went into Eugene with one of the best defenses in the country, the Ducks scored two touchdowns in just over nine minutes.

The Sun Devils’ defense hopes its intra-squad competition against ASU’s spread attack, which includes similarly speedy skill players, will help the defense prepare for the Ducks opening punches.

“You face no huddle speed up offense all spring and all camp so it’s not like we are facing it for the first time,” Erickson said.  “So yeah there is no question about it they see it all the time and will be able to adjust better than without it.”

The converse of that argument also works for Oregon’s defense in preparation for the Sun Devils’ attack, which is also similar to the Ducks, though pass-oriented.

ASU might have one agent of secrecy in its favor.

Redshirt junior receiver Aaron Pflugrad played two seasons with the Ducks before transferring to ASU.

“I will sit down and talk to (Pflugrad), that is for sure,” redshirt junior quarterback Steven Threet said.

While Threet hopes to glean insider information from Pflugrad, he may be developing chemistry with the receiver as the two connected multiple times in practice Tuesday.

“Aaron does a great job of really seeing the defense and understanding where the hole in the defense is, so he is a great receiver that runs great routes so he can kind of see the things I see,” Threet said.

Taylor stepping up

Senior receiver Kerry Taylor set a personal best for receptions against Wisconsin, catching a team-high six balls for 71 yards.

“Kerry has been so consistent and it is fun to see him have the opportunity to flourish in this type of offense,” Erickson said. “This offense fits him perfectly with the other receivers and everybody … kind of has their role. He is solid, knows what is going on and he catches the football. He is a great route runner, which is the best way to put it. He will put moves on and run with precision probably better than anybody else.”

Taylor has been one of Threet’s most reliable targets thus far.

“Kerry has done a great job and he runs great routes,” Threet said. ”He is like some of our other receivers and really sees what the defense is trying to do to stop our plays.”

Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edun

×