Former Olympian McCormick aiming for title

(Photo by Scott Stuk)
(Photo by Scott Stuk)

People may know about Riley McCormick’s diving, but not as many people may know about his passions for the game of squash, golf, TV and movies.

The ASU sophomore and Canadian Olympian sat down with The State Press to talk about his Olympic experience and his hobbies outside of the pool.

The State Press: Last year, you were the NCAA runner-up on the 10-meter platform and the Pac-10 diver of the year, what are you expecting from yourself this year?

Riley McCormick: Definitely I want to improve on last year and medal on the platform. I would like to be an NCAA Champion, obviously. But, I’m really looking forward to improving on the springboard, which is sort of a secondary event for me. I didn’t actually compete in 3-meter last year at [National Championships], I was sick during [them] so I pulled out of that and this year I would really like to get top six in that at N.C’s.

SP: You have said that your most exciting sports moment so far is winning platform at the 2008 Olympic Trials, what was that moment like for you?

RM: It was crazy. It was at my home pool in Victoria, Canada. It was just amazing. I had all my family, friends and everyone there supporting me. It was awesome, when I hit the water, I knew I had made the Olympic team and that was really a special moment for me having everyone there to enjoy it with me.”

SP: What was it like being on the Olympic team?

RM: It was overwhelming, something I had never really expected. It was just media everywhere and especially famous people. Just walking down the street and seeing Kobe Bryant was just a little bit overwhelming to me, but nonetheless it was a great experience.

SP: You mentioned Kobe Bryant, who else did you meet or have a chance to talk to?

RM: I talked to Rafael Nadal a little bit. I have a good friend on the Spanish team who is good buddies with him so we hung out a little bit. Also met Pau Gasol, [who] plays for the Lakers. He’s a really, really nice guy, just saw him walking around the village. Also a couple tennis players. I got to see James Blake and a couple of the American guys. It was pretty cool just to see these people in an atmosphere where they weren’t threatened or being surrounded by people all the time and were able to just hang out.

SP: You like soccer and golf, what other stuff do you like to do outside of the pool?

RM: Just a lot of movies. We have so much down time, especially in hotels and stuff. I pretty much think I have seen almost every movie out there as well as TV shows. Other than that, me and Constantin Blaha, another guy on the team, love to play squash. We go out just as a conditioning exercise and we are getting pretty good at it.

SP: I read that you like golf, how often do you play and how good are you?

RM: I get more time to do it in the summer when I’m home. Here, it’s too hot. I can’t do it. Back home I have a membership at a pretty prestigious club. I’m not that good yet. My best is about a 15 handicap, nothing too special. I really enjoy it, I think it’s just a good time to get together with the buddies, hit a few balls around and enjoy the day.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×