Gammage adds two shows to season

ASU Gammage Auditorium will host “Young Frankenstein” until Oct. 3. Several hit shows will come to Gammage this season. (Photo by Jessica Weisel)

ASU Gammage recently added two performances to their 2010- 2011 season.

On Dec. 19, Gammage will host Jim Brickman’s 15th Anniversary Holiday Concert.

Brickman is a five-time platinum-selling pianist who has worked with well-known artists, including Martina McBride, Lady Antebellum, Michael Bolton and Sara Evans. The December show will include piano solos, vocals and humor. This show is appropriate for people of every age, and offers an opportunity for families, especially Arizona visitors, to enjoy a Gammage event during the upcoming holiday season.

Gammage has also added the musical, “Spring Awakening” to their season, as well. For two nights only, the eight-time Tony award-winning show will return to Gammage on Jan. 27 and 28.

“Spring Awakening” is based on Frank Wedekind’s 1891 play. The storyline follows an ensemble of teenagers living in 19th-century Germany as they deal with sex, school, death and a lack of information and communication. The play was controversial when it first came out in the late 1800s, and the subject matter still brings up controversial concern in today’s culture. The show’s website, www.springawakening.com, has a parents’ guide section to address parental concerns with the show.

The subject matters presented bring to light many things that are still issues today, and they are intertwined with edgy rock and roll music numbers.

Tickets for “Spring Awakening” went on sale Monday, Sept. 27, and tickets for the Brickman concert go on sale Oct. 15 at asugammage.com.

Tickets are also available for purchase over the phone at 1-800-982-ARTS (2787). Prices range from $27.40 to $78.35 for “Spring Awakening” and $27.90 to $111.35 for Jim Brickman’s 15th Anniversary Holiday Concert.

Reach the reporter at mmattox@asu.edu

×