Letters: Sept. 30

MISGUIDED OPINION (In response to Andrew Hedlund’s Sept. 27 column “Outsourced future.”)

Mr. Hedlund's Sept. 27 column "Outsourced future" is misguided. Mr. Hedlund would have readers believe that a scheme is afoot at ASU to outsource grading to anonymous workers in Asia, enabling the university to reap large profits on online courses while cheating students out of an education.

This could not be further from the truth.

The reality is ASU faculty will always be in complete control of curriculum content, assessment and grading. This is true whether courses are delivered traditionally or online.

It is also true that web-enabled course options for traditional students are a popular trend at ASU. Why? Students prefer them for the flexibility. Faculty like them because the learning outcomes are equivalent or better. It is a trend that would have been inconceivable a decade ago. Advances in education technologies allow faculty to complement classroom instruction with online learning, and in rigorous, engaging and secure ways. All without outsourcing.

And, yes, the university intends to grow enrollments substantially in fully online degree programs over the next few years. Why? There are millions of adults in Arizona and nationwide with some college credit and no degree to show for it. They range in age from 25 to 50, and have real family and work responsibilities. The traditional classroom will not serve them. The New American University will.

To be fair, we agree with Mr. Hedlund's conclusion:  When students are paying thousands of dollars for their education, it is imperative that they receive the same caliber of education, if not better than, the previous generation. That belief is at the heart of all academic initiatives at Arizona State, both for online and on-campus students.

Philip Regier Executive Vice Provost and Dean, ASU Online and Extended Campus

×