Letters: Sept. 23

'Super' Schooled

(In response to Will Munsil's Sept. 21 column “Education reform ‘Waiting for Superman.’”)

Mr. Munsil uncritically repeats so much misguided conventional wisdom about education that it's difficult to know where to begin.

He states, "voters can usually only agree long enough to send more money in the direction of schools." Really?

My wife teaches in Laveen, and I'm astounded by what she's compelled to purchase herself because the school can't afford to. I've heard people say, "we can't just throw money at the problem." Has anyone tried?

The U.S. desperately wants to reform education, it just doesn't want to pay for it. Saying "it isn't about money ... it's about kids" is simply inaccurate. There's a direct correlation between per student spending and academic success.

When it comes to spending money on education, the United States really needs to put up or shut up.

Further, until every single child arrives at school clean, well rested, well fed, well supplied, with their homework completed and checked and ready to learn, then parents have no business relying on either "meaningful choices" or "luck."

Patrick Daly

Staff, Office of the University Architect

Smoke Signals

(In response to Arielle Hurst’s Sept. 21 video “Going up in smoke: the controversial marijuana alternative.”)

Interesting story, but I was very disappointed with the video. Go two stores down from Hippie Gypsy, and you’ll find Happy Healthy High Horny Herbs where they sell the marijuana substitute.

Why wasn’t the storefront or substance filmed?

Also, why was most of the video of students smoking cigarettes? It has nothing to do with the story. I think showing video of students smoking either marijuana or Spice would have been much more effective and interesting.

Nicole Gilbert

Reader

×