Makers in the Crafty Marketplace

MAKING A CASE: The Arizona Board of Regents held a meeting in Tucson Thursday. At the meeting, ABOR approved a tuition increase that goes beyond ASU’s tuition predictability commitment. (Photo Courtesy of Rodney Haas)

Local, handmade, artisan.

Most Arizona State University students don't put these words at the top of their shopping lists, much less lend support to the local handmade movement that has sprouted in countless boutiques across the Valley.

Thanks to Etsy.com, that's all changed with the click of a mouse.

Etsy's mission is to create a new economy within the handmade community. Sellers, who come from more than 150 countries, can showcase their work and sell their goods for buyers looking for something a bit more creatively designed. Those products range from home decor, stationary, kitchen accessories, art, clothing and an abundance of sweet knick-knacks.

While selling on Etsy can be turned into a full-time job with dedicated work, there are some sellers who cannot rely solely on their profits from the fast-growing online marketplace and in turn have to balance different roles of teachers, students and designers.

One Sun Devil who sells her work on Etsy let State Press Magazine in on her shop, inspiration and thoughts on the local handmade movement.

Who: Katie Poterala, a full-time ASU graduate student in metals.

What she sells: A line of functional, wearable jewelry.

Shop: katiepoterala.

Price Range: $11-$400.

On Etsy Since: February 2009.

Why Etsy: "Selling on Etsy seemed like a good way to get some experience doing production work, as well as a potential way to earn some much needed income while in grad school," Poteralla says.

Inspiration: While being primarily interested in value associations, historical context and alternative materials, her line is also influenced by the natural world. "I am influenced by the concept that perceived material worth is irrelevant to good craft, and as a result I don't necessarily subscribe to the use of precious materials unless they are important conceptually," Poterala says.

Future Goals: For now, Poterala's Etsy shop is not her only job. After grad school, she plans on creating a line specifically for Etsy "and focusing more on marketing."

Views on Selling on Etsy and Shopping Locally: Poterala believes that it is sometimes difficult to fight for attention on the flooded market, and realizes the "great necessity to market yourself" both online in blogging and offline. However, she also believes Etsy helps in supporting local crafters. "[It helps those] who create fantastic and worthwhile products but don't have the means to have a traditional storefront," Poterala says.

Check out these other Etsy shops from ASU alumni:

Who: Jennifer Bates, 26, of Phoenix. Graduated from ASU in 2006 with a degree in graphic design.

What she sells: Handmade books and original artwork. Ranging from small journals to custom guest books. Many are made from recycled materials. Her artwork ranges from prints to canvas paintings.

On Etsy since: June 2008.

Price range: $3.50-$120.

Inspiration: Recycled goods, interesting materials of paper and having fun in the process.

Who: Betsy Rosenmiller, 43, of Tempe. Graduated from ASU in 1997 with a master's degree in ceramics.

What she sells: Casual and fun jewelry primarily used with sterling silver and resin and also pearls. Some pieces have more organic forms, while others are more geometric. She uses symbols like the spiral, circle and lotus, and simplified natural forms of flowers and leaves.

On Etsy since: June 2008.

Price range: $35-$85.

Inspiration: Nature and color.

Contact the reporter at Diana.A.Martinez@asu.edu.

×