Technology, for better or worse, has changed society. We live in a world of mobile phones, GPS in every car and instant search results.

Some people want more.

More nature, that is.

In Washington, D.C., there is a group called the Mid-Atlantic Primitive Skills Group dedicated to “assisting its members become more proficient at the whole range of primitive living skills and connecting with Nature.”

By primitive skills, the group means hunting wild animals, skinning and tanning animal hide and starting a fire without matches, among other indigenous skills.

The workshops offered by the MAPS group include people from all walks of life. Some of them prefer the primitive lifestyle, while others are 9-to-5 workers looking for a break in the monotony.

The workshop instructors have specialties, whether it be making rope out of plants or building hunting spears.

One workshop leader even has a survivalist podcast, as ironic as that is.

The group is part of a larger crusade called primitivism. Within this movement are people who shun technology and the advancements of civilization, including medicine.

In extreme cases, they are even preparing for the end of the world, hence the need to learn how to start a fire and make a basket from reeds.

There is merit to knowing which forest plants are edible and how to catch a fish.

But, given the choice, would you rather be stuck with a former Boy Scout who knows some basic survival skills, or a primitivist who wants to help you find your spirit animal while tossing your iPhone aside? (No joke, one available workshop consists of a shaman helping you find a power animal, or a spiritual guide.)

The workshops seem to provide knowledge that is handy in a pinch, but the ideology behind them is worthy of a hefty eye-roll.

Our generation spent a lot of time in front of the TV and playing Nintendo. But some people are now wishing to have experienced a different childhood and are deciding to learn the skills to pass on to their children.

Even with primitive skills, it remains to be seen that these primitivist’s children will likely be as plugged in as we were. Others are fine with the way they were raised, or so they’ll tell you via Twitter, and have no desire nor need to learn indigenous skills.

If you’re not into learning how to start a fire or other indigenous crafts, the best advice is to avoid situations where you could end up attempting to survive in the forest.

And if you should ever find yourself in a cabin with a cat and golden retriever, stay where you are. Your people will come find you.

Abbey learned all she needs to know about survival from “Homeward Bound.” Email her at amurrell@asu.edu

×