Rats move to Downtown campus

RAT INVASION: The demolition of the abandoned Ramada Inn on the downtown campus has spurred a number of rat sightings on the downtown campus. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

The demolition of an abandoned Phoenix hotel could be to blame for several rat sightings on the Downtown campus.

Twelve rats have been spotted by ASU faculty and staff members at the University Center parking garage and the Nursing and Health Innovation building in the two weeks since the demolition began, said Cathie Fox, the director of Facilities Management on the Downtown campus.

The first sightings happened about a week ago at the nursing building, and rats were seen Tuesday in the University Center parking garage, Fox said.

The faculty and staff reported the sightings immediately and both the city of Phoenix and ASU hired extermination companies to set traps, she said.

“We are trying to take care of this problem as quickly as possible,” Fox said.

The extermination company hired by ASU plans to place 6-inch traps in ceilings, utility rooms and around the perimeter of campus buildings, she said.

Jeremy Legg, a spokesman for the city of Phoenix, said he had not heard of this problem happening before in Phoenix, but it was not surprising, given the demolition work of the abandoned Ramada Inn.

“The vibration and noise scared them away,” Legg said.

The abandoned hotel’s lot, located between Polk and Taylor streets, will be turned into a temporary parking lot for the nearby Sheraton hotel. The University may use the land in the future as a possible site for new Downtown campus buildings.

Faculty and students should properly store food to deter the rats, Fox said.

She added that students should report pools of water caused by rain or air conditioner condensation to maintenance.

The Taylor Place dining hall is disposing of food properly and has not reported any rats, she said.

Jana Benson, a criminal justice graduate student, said she had heard about the rat problem but wasn’t worried.

She said she thought it was strange the rats were still alive because the Ramada Inn has been empty for a while.

“I am curious about what they have been feeding on,” Benson said.

Reach the reporter at mary.shinn@asu.edu

×