Curtis Jackson, aka 50 Cent, has six kitchens, 53 bedrooms and 35 bathrooms in his house.

I know because I saw it on “Cribs.”

Usually, a “Cribs” episode highlights the homes of two to three semi-famous people.  Most have pretty extravagant digs. The garage generally features a Hummer or two, some derivative on the Italian sports car model and maybe a “daily driver,” like a Mercedes S-class or Rolls Royce.

50’s garage features an arsenal of Ferraris, a variety of classic muscle cars, atvs, golf carts and other toys he’s too modest to show off.  It seems life is good for Mr. Cent.

But his home is a perfect reminder of the dangers of living life too big. He bought the place from boxer Mike Tyson who had to sell it because he was bankrupt.  50 doesn’t seem to mind.

For him, it’s get rich or die trying.

But this article isn’t about 50 Cent’s spending habits; it’s about the idea of having money to spend, simply not spending it, and miraculously being happy about it.

The economic recession has inspired many to live satisfying lives below their means.

Dave Bruno, a nature-loving Californian, father and self-employed entrepreneur, challenged himself to live with only 100 personal items from November 2008 to November 2009.

Dave’s story, which is told on GuyNamedDave.com, outlines a new movement that rejects the American consumerism that led to the great recession.

Dave, and his many followers, designed a lifestyle that allows for maximum interaction with friends and family, financial security and an ultimately streamlined way of life.

A recent article in the New York Times features Tammy Strobel and Logan Smith, an Oregon couple who decided to follow Dave’s example and downsize their lifestyles.

They gave away almost everything they had, moved into a 400 square foot apartment and have lived happily ever after.

As a result of downsizing, Strobel and Smith were able to live on Strobel’s income of $24,000 per year, while Smith completed his doctorate.

The couple not only shed space, two cars and other chatskis, but also erased $30,000 dollars in debt, which makes giving up everything sound less like a hippy fad and more like a sound financial decision.

Americans, guilty as any of excess consumerism, can hope technology, new forms of power, synthetic foods and high-rise buildings will resolve our future economic issues.

And perhaps the economy will recover and we can go back to wasteful spending habits and buy things to help us mask our shortcomings and appear affluent.

Or, perhaps we could adjust our lifestyles and work fewer hours, spend more time with our loved ones and find beauty in the natural world.

It doesn’t have to be difficult, and it doesn’t have to involve having an exact amount of worldly possessions.

Bruno outlines the three ways to get “unstuck” from life on his website:  Reduce (get rid of some stuff), Refuse (to get more stuff), and Rejigger (your priorities).

And, I’d estimate that by starting with the “rejiggering,” the other two will come naturally.

It’s unlikely 50 Cent will ever live with less than 100 possessions, but it’s apparent that he’s decided to make some sort of a change: he put his Connecticut mansion, the one with six kitchens, up for sale so he can live closer to his son on Long Island.

Sounds like a healthy case of “rejiggering” to me.

Send Ben your possessions at bnegley@asu.edu

×