Special teams proving ASU football’s greatest strength

(Photo Courtesy of Norm Ritland)
(Photo Courtesy of Norm Ritland)

Through three games, ASU football’s greatest weakness, and perhaps its greatest strength, hides from the cursory glance.

When it’s not so clear how the Sun Devils went from here to there, the answer is most likely hidden in the back pages of statistical summaries.

The Sun Devils have been prolific in “hidden yardage” facets in 2010. Hidden yardage in football parlance is thought of as penalty and special teams yards.

ASU ranks 118th in penalty yardage, but second in the country in kickoff return average (36.92 yards per), 18th in punt return average (13.91 yard per), fifth in net punting (44 yards per) and 17th in kickoff return defense (17.65 yards per).

“Our coaches have done a good job,” ASU coach Dennis Erickson said. “We’ve got some guys back there who can hit a seam and get going.”

As the Sun Devils prepare for their first Pac-10 match up against No. 5 Oregon at home Saturday, they hope to reconcile the duel between their evil hidden yardage and their good.

ASU has already been whistled for six special teams penalties, including a block in the back that negated an 80-yard punt return touchdown by sophomore Jamal Miles against Wisconsin.

“We’ve had some penalties,” Erickson said. “We had a clip and we had a holding on another kickoff return [against UW]. Unfortunately, on special teams and return teams that is going to happen because you have guys coming full speed, and you are backing up. It’s not as easy as you would think.”

The Sun Devils would be leading the country in punt-return yardage if not for the clipping penalty. And even with a struggling kicker in senior Thomas Weber, ASU may have the best special teams unit in the country through three games.

The Sun Devils have five players, including senior receiver Kerry Taylor, senior cornerbacks Omar Bolden and LeQuan Lewis, freshman running back Deantre Lewis and freshman receiver Kyle Middlebrooks, who have returned kicks. Three of them have already broken returns of 40 yards or more.

“We have a lot more depth,” Erickson said. “We have lot of guys on special teams that can make plays. Omar is in there and playing a lot. He is not in there every time, but he gives you some stuff. On punt return, Jamal Miles is pretty exciting. The thing is that he is shifty. He is a straight-ahead person that you need in punt return because you have to make one or two cuts and take it.”

Miles is 14th in the country in punt return average (15.8 yards per) while senior Trevor Hankins leads the country in punting at nearly 53 yards per boot.

Injury report

Erickson said that the Sun Devils were almost completely healthy after Saturday’s game.

Junior linebacker Brandon Magee was taken out of the game because of a pulled muscle in his leg, but was able to return later. Erickson said that one of the reasons he didn’t get many snaps in the second half was because junior Oliver Aaron was playing so well.  Aaron had nine tackles against the Badgers.

Erickson also said that defensive tackles sophomore Corey Adams and sophomore Toa Tuitea made successful returns from injury Saturday, though they played limited snaps.

Notes

Erickson indicated that junior transfer tackle Aderious Simmons would see action with the first unit at right tackle this week in practice … Tuesday, Sept. 21 marks 14 years since ASU beat No. 1 Nebraska 19-0. According to Sun Devil Athletics director of media relations and Sun Devil history guru Doug Tammaro, it was also the last time an Associated Press No. 1 team was shut out, and the only time since Oct. 1977.

Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edu

×