Sun Devils hoping for sellout crowd against Oregon

Last season the ASU football team drew an average of 48,556 fans per home game.

Through two games so far against Portland State and Northern Arizona in 2010, Sun Devil Stadium has seen crowds of 43,238 and 49,043, respectively.

In a stadium that holds 71,706, empty seats are easily noticeable.

Last week when ASU visited Madison, Wis., the team was greeted with 81,332 Badger fans crammed into Camp Randall Stadium.

When the Sun Devils paid a visit to Eugene, Ore., last November, Ducks fans sold out Autzen Stadium with 58,547 in attendance en route to a 44-21 win.

With the No. 5 Oregon Ducks (3-0) coming to Tempe on Saturday night, The State Press asked five Sun Devils what a packed house would do for the team come game time.

ASU coach Dennis Erickson: Having played at Oregon over the years and just the experience we had at Wisconsin, the fans make such a huge difference. [The stadium] doesn't even have to be full, but you get our students excited about what's going on during the football game … the motivation that has for our players is unbelievable. Hopefully we'll have a heck of a crowd out there. We just need to get as many people as we can and get that thing rocking to give us an advantage.

Senior wide receiver Kerry Taylor: It would be huge. When we come out of the tunnel and we see a lot of fans out there, it really fires us up. It makes it easier for us; it makes it harder for the opposing team. It’s always harder playing in a loud stadium. One or two plays can make a difference for winning this ball game.

Junior linebacker Oliver Aaron: We feed off our crowd’s energy. If they come out and support us, and give us the energy we need, I feel like we have a great chance to beat [Oregon]. [Wisconsin] was probably one of the more fun environments I’ve ever played in, so hopefully we can get 72,000 here.

Redshirt junior offensive lineman Mike Marcisz: If our fans are into the game, if we have a packed stadium that’d be awesome. We haven’t had that since the Georgia game a couple years ago.

Junior safety Clint Floyd: If they want to see a great game, and a great Sun Devils team play, they should come out. That’s like a twelfth man on the field. Fans always help out.

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×