What if the world were a book? Would you stop reading after the introduction? Saint Augustine once said, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.”

Travelling doesn’t necessarily mean circumnavigating the globe.

With the world becoming flatter with globalization, it’s probably easier now for college students to see more of the world than at any prior time in history.

Thanks to the global recession, paradise is probably a little bit more accessible for the average traveler. Time magazine ran a story last May on how the global tourism industry is evolving to convince travelers to book vacations abroad. For instance, Malaysia and Thailand lowered visa fees and negotiated with airlines and hotels to cut prices. Boosting tourism means it can now cost less for you to visit your dream destination.

Travelling on the cheap doesn’t have to entail cutting back the quality of your trip. Matt Gross, a travel journalist with The New York Times, is an expert on taking the trip you want on the budget you have.

A couple of years ago, he took a 13-week trip to Europe and lived off roughly $150 per day, which might seem rather limited, but according to his online blog series in The Frugal Traveler, still made for a good time.

Seneca, an ancient Roman philosopher, once stated, “Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” Sometimes, a change of scenery can be good for your career, too.

In March, Bloomberg Businessweek covered a story on a growing trend among recent college graduates. More students are now seeking international experience to strengthen their resumes. In one case, a recent graduate searched for a job domestically for six months to no avail before deciding to intern overseas.

In the end, his internship experience in London led to a job offer back in the U.S. Moving abroad or doing an internship overseas isn’t the solution for everyone, but if you have the chance and desire, now might be the time to catch a flight, boat or train.

The proliferation of low-cost travel companies, such as Southwest Airlines, Expedia, and Orbitz, speaks volumes of the demand for travel in U.S. markets and abroad.

Booking a flight to a surfer’s paradise in Costa Rica is just a few mouse clicks away. Even travelling across the continental United States is within your reach with a rental car or a bus ticket.

Whether it’s attending classes in Paris or studying in Guadalajara, travel involves taking a risk on stepping outside your normal routine. Travel can be an easy way to confront your fear of the unknown. If you’re ready to tackle something new, it might be time to ask yourself: What’s my destination?

Send your travel tips to Isaiah at isaiah.mccoy@asu.edu

×