ASU defense stifles Cougars in shutout

NOWHERE TO RUN: Washington State sophomore quarterback Jeff Tuel scrambles out of the pocket against ASU on Saturday. The Cougars failed to score any points for the first time this season. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

With just over three minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Washington State lined up for a field goal that would give the team its first points of the game.

One bad snap and an incomplete pass from the punter later, WSU had given away its only chance for points.

That five-second sequence was a microcosm of how the Cougars (1-8, 0-6 Pac-10) played Saturday, as they fell to ASU 42-0.

“It was clearly our worst performance of the year,” WSU coach Paul Wulff said. “We didn’t do anything right, we weren’t very emotional, and we were flat and didn’t execute in any phase.”

WSU totaled just eight yards rushing and had 105 penalty yards in the game.

“Hopefully they feel embarrassed; I know I do,” Wulff said. “I thought we were good all the way up to the opening kickoff, and then I looked in their eyes and just didn’t sense a lot in the tank for whatever reason.”

The Cougars continued their poor pass protection, giving up five sacks to the Sun Devils (4-4, 2-3) and allowing additional breakdowns all night.

“It affects my timing and my throws,” WSU sophomore quarterback Jeff Tuel said. “It’s part of the game and what I have to do, but they definitely applied a pretty good amount of pressure.”

As a result, ASU forced three fumbles, two interceptions and 15 tackles for loss.

“Defensively, [the Sun Devils] have the best talent in the league,” Wulff said. “They pressure the quarterback all game long; he very seldom gets to settle his feet and throw the ball. There was something that disturbed the pocket nonstop and when they know it’s pass, they’ll sack you.”

Tuel went 17-of-26 for 200 yards before being lifted in the fourth quarter for redshirt junior Marshall Lobbestael.

“We fell into a trap and played their style of play and got frustrated because we weren’t playing well,” Wulff said.

State Press Television By Cailyn Bradley

True freshman wide receiver Marquess Wilson continued his torrid pace catching five balls for a team-high 89 yards, including one for 47.

On defense, the Cougars allowed ASU redshirt junior quarterback Steven Threet to throw for 300 yards and three touchdowns.

“He’s a good quarterback. We definitely underestimated him, and you can’t do that,” WSU redshirt senior defensive end Kevin Kooyman said. “That’s our fault for making a mistake like that. I don’t know what it was but we came out and nobody wanted to hit. It was extremely disappointing.”

Silver lining

Washington State redshirt senior punter Reid Forrest might someday look back on Saturday as the culmination of his football career.

He just might want to forget the final score.

The once walk-on wide receiver became WSU’s all-time leading punter midway through the third quarter with a 57 yard boot.

“It’s something as a freshman I thought I’d never obtain,” Forrest said. “I would have traded a bowl game, [however], for every stat, every record; it would have been worth it.”

Over 256 career punts, Forrest has 10,879 career punt yards, 85 more than the previous record holder.

“He’s done a very fine job and has given us good field position a lot of times,” Wulff said. “In this rebuilding deal, he’s been one of the catalysts as a very strong-willed, do-it-right person.”

Reach the reporter at tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×