Auburn’s Newton has big lead in Heisman race

OUTSIDE CHANCE: Oregon sophomore running back LaMichael James has posted impressive numbers and helped take the Ducks to the top of the polls, but Auburn's Cameron Newton has rushed for more yards as a quarterback. (Photo by Michael Arellano)
The top of the Heisman watch list has certainly changed since the last look.
There is now a clear-cut leader atop the list, with a stranglehold on the award.

If Auburn’s Cameron Newton continues his incredible season, it may turn into a battle for who accompanies him to New York for the award presentation, not a battle for who returns with the trophy.

Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn

90-of-138, 1,364 yards, 13 TD, 5 INT, 157 carries, 1,077 yards, 14 TD

The entire nation was exposed to Newton last week when the junior submitted a Heisman-worthy performance on national television. Newton ran for 217 yards and two scores against LSU, keeping Auburn unbeaten.

His 49-yard touchdown run was one of the most exciting plays of the year and certainly could be his Heisman moment. Newton showed his ability to beat defenders with power, speed and agility, all on that single play.

The Tigers are undefeated because of Newton and his 27 total touchdowns. He is the most exciting player in the nation and he accounts for over 300 yards of total offense per game.

The numbers are ridiculous. The Heisman is his to lose. Right now it’s just a battle for second place.

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon

134 carries, 971 yards, 11 TD

James had just another day at the office against UCLA, rushing for 123 yards and two touchdowns.

James is averaging 7.3 yards per carry, which leads the nation. The problem James is going to face is that the guy he is going to have to outperform to win the award has better rushing numbers than him as a quarterback.

It certainly helps James that UO is undefeated and will be just as much in the spotlight as Newton’s Tigers, but he needs to have that special performance to stick in the voter’s minds.

He’s the best running back in the nation, but will need a few crazy performances and Newton to struggle if he is going to take the award off of Newton’s shelf.

Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

105-of-151, 1,567 yards, 16 TD, 1 INT

What hurts Boise State’s case for the National Championship is also hurting their quarterback’s chances for the Heisman.

Newton has been the difference maker in a lot of his team’s close wins against good opponents, while Moore is often able to take the helmet off and watch his team cruise to victory.

This is not a knock on Moore, because he is a major reason why the Broncos are coasting to victories, but he lacks the memorable moments that often times are necessary to win over the hearts of the voters.

He is steady, efficient and doesn’t make mistakes, but Moore lacks the flashiness and wow factor of Newton and James and is going to find it hard to move up the list.

Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

62 receptions, 1,112 yards, 14 TD

Blackmon’s stats warrant consideration for the Heisman, but an off-the-field issue may halt those talks.

Blackmon was arrested Monday on suspicion of driving under the influence and speeding. If he is suspended for any amount of time, you can cross him off the list.

However, on the field, he has been the best wide receiver in the nation. Blackmon leads the NCAA in receiving yards, receiving yards per game and receiving touchdowns.

No team has held Blackmon under 100 yards and he has caught a touchdown in every game for the Cowboys. Blackmon went head to head with Nebraska star cornerback Prince Amukamara last week and exploded for 157 yards and two scores, including an 80-yard touchdown.

Taylor Martinez, QB, Nebraska

66-of-111, 1,046 yards, 8 TD, 3 INT, 100 carries, 870 yards, 12 TD

Martinez responded from his benching against Texas to lead the Cornhuskers to a big win over Oklahoma State.

The knock on Martinez has been the lack of passing stats, but the freshman beat the Cowboys with his arm. Martinez threw for 323 yards and five touchdowns, while running for 112.

While it may be hard for Martinez to win the award, he certainly could get an invite if he has more games like last weekend.

Other Candidates

Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan

John Clay, RB, Wisconsin

Bryant Moniz, QB, Hawaii

Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State

Kirk Cousins, QB, Michigan State

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor

Matt Barkley, QB, Southern California

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×