Boat rentals to return to Tempe Town Lake

(Photo by Jessica Weisel)
(Photo by Jessica Weisel)

After losing a boating company and then the water for the boats, Tempe residents will again have a way to float on Town Lake after it reopens.

Boat Rentals of America, a California-based boating rental company, will open up shop along the lake with its grand opening on Oct. 30.

The Tempe City Council approved the business contract at a meeting Thursday, almost a year after the previous rental company, Rio Lago, left the lake.

The city of Tempe wanted a new boat operator for the re-opening of the lake, said founder and BROA president Ralph Rodheim.

New water began to pour into the lake Friday, and Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman said it would take about 10 days to complete the filling process.

BROA chose to come to Tempe because of the downtown businesses and University community.

Between 3.2 and 3.6 million people travel in and around Tempe Town Lake each year, Hallman said.

“I believe it is an absolute perfect location,” said Clint Gregory, Tempe manager of BROA.

Rodheim initially came up with the idea for the company in 1991 because of his passion for his own electric boat.

“It is such a fabulous boat,” he said. “It is ecologically sound, it always runs and it is quiet.”

Rodheim and the company has been in business 18 years, expanding to four locations in California, each offering a variety of different products and services.

“We are very excited for the opportunity to come to Tempe Town Lake and especially work with the University,” he said.

BROA hopes to set up boat races, scavenger hunts and other activities on the lake with different fraternities, sororities, student groups and charities, Rodheim said.

“We want to be really involved with ASU,” he said.

Students can choose from a variety of different options to get in a workout, whether it is a deluxe pedal boat, kayak or hydro bike.

The classic electric boat that will be available to rent can hold up to 10 people, and comes complete with stereos, tables and plush seats.

Boat renting is an easy idea for birthday parties and celebrations of any kind, Rodheim said.

“In the past people had come down and the previous business wasn’t open and the product got to be pretty dreary,” he said. “We are going to be open 364 days a year, closed only on Christmas.”

Hours of operation will vary in the summer, but the company is looking to be in the open early mornings and later afternoons and evenings so patrons can go out and enjoy the water, Rodheim said.

The company is also looking for input on what kind of boats students want, whether it be more kayaks, hydro bikes or pedal boats. When it opens, the business will have some of each to determine what students are really interested in, Rodheim said.

The city had been looking for a replacement boat vendor since the 10-year contract with Rio Lago, the previous company, ended last October.

“The city and Rio Lago weren’t seeing eye to eye on what they thought was the best way to organize and run a boating rental company,” said Joe O’Connor, Tempe boating coordinator.

City regulations require all boat owners to hold a Tempe boating permit. This allows the city to recover money invested into lake maintenance and upkeep, he said.

It also allows the city to keep track of the number of permits, and people on the lake, O’Connor said.

Tempe residents pay a $5 annual fee for boating permits. Non-residents pay a $30 fee, and any non-profit boating organization will pays a $15 fee. These organizations include the ASU sailing and rowing clubs, O’Connor said.

The new dockside vendor is also looking to hire part-time students as dockhands and office aides.

“There is no one else in the Valley who has the ability to have this operation, so it is definitely going to be different than a restaurant job,” Gregory said.

BROA is in the process of selecting a day for open interviews and encouraging interested students to apply, Gregory said.

“My life is the boating world,” Gregory said. “I am here in Arizona now with this location and we are very excited.”

Reach the reporter at amoswalt@asu.edu

×