Breast cancer race raises over $2 million

The 18th annual Susan G. Komen Phoenix Race for the Cure brought in more than $2 million Sunday in its event to raise awareness for breast cancer.

There were approximately 2,000 cancer survivors attending, 1,500 volunteers and 31,000 other supporters, said Sarah Padilla in an e-mail. Padilla works with the Phoenix affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the organization in charge of the race.

These numbers are nearly identical to last year’s Race for the Cure numbers, where $2 million was also raised from the race with a similar number of participants.

There were many ASU-affiliated teams at the race. These teams included water polo, women’s basketball, softball, nursing and various Greek houses. ASU also volunteered at one of the water stations of the race.

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization specifically targeted ASU students.

“We really wanted that experience, that exposure,” said Meghan Dorn, entertainment chair and volunteer coordinator for this year’s Race for the Cure. She also works for the organization as a community outreach ambassador.

“Everyone loved doing it,” said business marketing sophomore Melanie Reed. “It’s kind of hard waking up that early, but the energy in the plaza was so positive … it was [really] exciting.”

Reed was responsible for setting up Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority’s participation in the Race for the Cure. She said the race might now become an annual event for the sorority because it was so fun.

According to a fact sheet from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure organization, breast cancer is one of the leading causes of death among women in the United States, with one woman dying every 13 minutes from the disease.

“Breast cancer will affect a lot of the women here, and it already has affected some of them … everyone knows someone who has breast cancer,” Reed said.

Jordin Sparks, 2007 American Idol winner and Phoenix area native, was an honorary chair member for the race this year. However, she was unable to attend the event.

Participants in the race could choose what distance and intensity they wanted from three options. There was a one-mile walk or run, a five-kilometer run and a five-kilometer walk. There was also a five-kilometer run for breast cancer survivors.

The race started at 17th Avenue and Adams Street and finished just East of 17th Avenue and Jefferson Street.

Next year’s race is currently scheduled to be held Oct. 9.

Reach the reporter at connor.radnovich@asu.edu

×