Cako reaches quarterfinals as ASU tennis struggles

PLANTED: Freshman Jacqueline Cako prepares for a backhand during practice last week. Cako competed in the ITA Regionals over the weekend and made it to the quarterfinals of singles play before falling to the tournament's top speed. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

The ASU women’s tennis team was eliminated from the ITA Regionals on Saturday after three long days of tough competition.

In singles play, freshman Jacqueline Cako made it to the quarterfinals Saturday, but fell to No. 1 seeded Southern California senior Maria Sanchez.

“It was a tough match,” Cako said. “I had my chances, but mainly it came down to the fact that I was tired. There were points in there where my legs were completely gone because I just pushed it so hard the day before.”

Cako won her first set against Sanchez 3-6, but lost her last two 6-2 and 7-5.

"Overall, Jacqueline played well for not having played for a couple of months," ASU coach Sheila McInerney said. "She played okay against Sanchez. She had a good chance to win the match, but her legs weren't there."

On Friday, Cako won her first match against UA junior Natasha Marks in the round of 32. Cako lost her first set 2-6, but won the last two 6-2 and 6-1.

In round 16 later in the day, Cako handed UCLA junior McCall Jones a loss 7-5, 7-6 to advance to the quarterfinals matchup with Sanchez.

“The second match I started off really poorly, and it looked like it was going to be a tough day for me, but I started gaining a rhythm and playing well,” Cako said.

Cako also competed in doubles with ASU senior Micaela Hein.

Cako and Hein played together in doubles for the first time on Friday against the Long Beach State pair of sophomore Klaudia Malenovska and junior Rachel Manasse.

They defeated Malenovska and Manasse 8-3.

Advancing to the round of 16, Hein and Cako were then faced with the Pepperdine duo of senior Khunpak Issara and junior Ali Walters, who they topped 8-3.

Cako and Hein fell in the quarterfinals, however, 8-3 to USC’s Sanchez and freshman Kaitlyn Christian.

"Our doubles have to get better," McInerney said. "We really have to take care of it before the next tournament. We lost some tough ones."

Hein made it to the round of 32 in singles play, but fell to Christian 6-2, 3-6 and 6-2.

In Friday’s consolation round, ASU junior Michelle Brycki defeated Cal State Northridge sophomore Anna Yang 6-2 and 6-2. Brycki also topped San Diego State’s senior Julia Trunk by forfeit and junior Sierra Ellison 6-1 and 6-3.

ASU junior Sianna Simmons fell in Friday’s consolation round to LBSU sophomore Sarah Cantlay 6-3, 0-6 and 10-7.

ASU senior Ashlee Brown also dropped her consolation match to LBSU junior Anais Dallara 6-4 and 6-3.

The Sun Devils will compete at the 15th Annual Thunderbird Invitational Tournament at the ASU Whiteman Tennis Center on Nov. 5.

The event will be the first time this season that the Sun Devils will play on their home court.

Reach the reporter at nklauss@asu.edu

×