This week in San Francisco all 12 athletic directors of the new Pac-12 Conference will meet to discuss the three major issues that need to be resolved before next fall.

The items on the table are revenue sharing, division alignment and a conference championship game.

Although nothing is likely to get settled before Oct. 21 when the university presidents and chancellors meet, the talks mark the beginning of the home stretch for deciding the new layout to the Pac-12.

“This conference is about to scale to new heights in terms of the popularity that we had and the types of media agreements we're about to strike next year,” Commissioner Larry Scott told the Associated Press. “How we move to a 12-team conference when we haven't expanded since 1978 has obviously kicked up some pretty weighty issues."

Well Mr. Scott, allow me to offer up my suggestion for each issue.

Revenue sharing: Give the Los Angeles schools a little extra and share the rest.

Division alignment: Split each natural rival but allow for an annual cross over game (this is not likely, however, as Scott favors conventional north-south divisions).

Conference championship game: Have it on a neutral field and rotate it between San Francisco, San Diego and Glendale.

Reach the reporter tyler.emerick@asu.edu

×