Divers hungry to start competing as season looms

MAKING WAVES: Members of the ASU swim team compete in practice last week. After mixed results at the UA duals meet, both the men's and women's teams are looking for ways to improve as the season picks up. (Photo by Aaron Lavinsky)

The ASU swim team opened the new season last weekend, but the dive team still has almost two weeks until its season gets underway in Hawaii on Nov. 5.

The two teams will compete together as the season progresses, but are competing separately in the first few meets.

While the dive team enjoys practice and spending time together, the Sun Devils are more than ready for the season to begin and are itching for competition.

“I’m super excited,” junior diver Cameron Bradshaw said. “I can’t wait to compete.” State Press Television By Jourdan Rodrigue

Junior Constantin Blaha is just as excited about the season.

“I miss diving; I’m glad to be back on the board,” Blaha said. “I’m really psyched about the upcoming season.”

With the first competition less than two weeks away, the Sun Devils will begin to change how they practice.

ASU will begin to practice as if they are in a meet, something the dive team refers to as “one every five.” This means they will take breaks between dives because during a meet they often have to wait for the other divers.

Bradshaw also added that the team will start to break down the finer parts of the dive and really begin to focus on details.

As practice changes and the meets approach, some Sun Devils feel practice becomes a little more focused and intense.

“I feel like everybody’s more on in practice,” Blaha said. “That’s the attitude you’ve got to have.”

However, ASU diving coach Mark Bradshaw said his team always works hard and that he does not notice a change in focus as the season nears.

“The attitude and determination of getting something out of the practices is the same whether it’s Sept. 1 or March 1,” Bradshaw said.

Hitting the books

While they may be known more for their diving abilities than their classroom abilities, some ASU divers have made a name for themselves in the classroom as well as in the pool.

At the end of last season, ASU juniors Blaha and Elina Eggers were named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District Team.

Blaha was named to the second-team while Eggers, a business major with a 4.0 GPA, was named to the first team.

“They’re outstanding students,” Bradshaw said. “They work hard at what they do both in the pool and at school.”

Early corrections

Following the UA dual meet in mid October, the ASU swim team identified mistakes and is working to correct them.

ASU coach Dorsey Tierney-Walker said the team has embraced the challenge and is working hard to improve.

“We definitely have seen much more focus this week than we did before the competition,” Tierney-Walker said.

Although the swim team will host the alumni meet on Oct. 30, they will not have a meaningful meet until the men take on Air Force Nov. 5th at home, the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center.

After the tough loss in Tucson, the men will try to get their first win of the season and make a mark in the wins column.

Reach the reporter at william.boor@asu.edu

×