The Gallery is full of a bunch of pretty-faced guys who sing about life and love. It’s been seen before, right? Wrong. What separates the boys of The Gallery from similar bands such as The Maine, All Time Low, This Providence and My American Heart? They have potential to break the 11 to 16-year-old demographic. However, be forewarned, boys, you walk a fine line.

The indie-pop band hails from Massachusetts but has spent the last five months living with their manager to record their second full-length album in California, according to drummer Ryan Cooney. Now on their way home for the holidays, the boys of The Gallery have decided to spice up the road trip with shows along the way. Coming through the Grand Canyon State, they booked the Rogue Bar in Scottsdale, letting local artists fill up the sets around them.

While press releases and album reviews have applauded The Gallery on lyrics beyond their years, I can’t say that I feel the same. A group of 22 to 24-year-old boys singing about life becoming hard and love is something innovative? This is the age that most artists in fact begin to sing about their realization of worldly burdens. Credit should go to the writing for breaking out of the basic rhyming scheme. Lyrically, the silver lining is “Who's in the Right?”, the strongest song in the performance and set to be on their next album releasing within the first few months of 2011. It seems that The Gallery is getting stronger with time.

During their night in Scottsdale, The Gallery shined around the local talent. The almost empty bar focused more on conversation and what was playing on the television while the first sets played. The same cannot be said as lead guitarist Shea Brennan began the opening chords. The volume engulfed the bar, and if the customers weren’t watching the performance, they were dancing.

These Massachusetts boys have stage chemistry that is one of ease, which makes the choice in venue disappointing. This 21 and up show and little promotion brought no one to see the talent that these boys have. While they put on an engaging show with fantastic melodies and catchy lyrics, The Gallery was robbed of an audience.

My advice to The Gallery? Come back to the area soon, but next time, give college students the chance to see you.

Contact the reporter at lkjorda1@asu.edu

×