Football prepares for similar WSU on both sides

(Photo by Scott Stuk)
(Photo by Scott Stuk)

The ASU football team continued to spend most of its practice time on Wednesday with the first and second team offense going head-to-head with the first and second team defense.

After practice, ASU coach Dennis Erickson explained his decision to change up the practice plan this week.

Washington State is similar in style offensively and defensively to ASU, so it combines preparation and facing top competition.

“We did that because they are similar to us on both sides of the football,” Erickson said. “That lengthens things a little bit in the team segments, that’s why we did that.”

So far, Erickson has been pleased with the results.

“Yesterday we really practiced well and today we followed it up with another good one,” Erickson said. “It’s been two good days, but we’ve had two good days like this before. We have to finish it off tomorrow.”

Home cooking

After three straight road games, ASU finally gets to play at Sun Devil Stadium this weekend.

“It feels good to be home,” Erickson said. “It will be weird (though).”

With a bye week in there as well, the Sun Devils will have gone 35 days in between home games. No other Pac-10 team has three straight conference road games on their schedule this season.

WSU connections

Like Oregon State earlier in the season, there are a few connections to WSU.

Erickson was the head coach in Pullman for the 1987 and 1988 seasons. The Cougars went 3-7-1 in his first season, but were 9-3 in his final season before he left for Miami.

ASU defensive coordinator Craig Bray was Erickson’s secondary coach at WSU, and he later returned to serve as Mike Price’s defensive coordinator at WSU from 1994-99.

Defensive backs coach Greg Burns played college football at WSU from 1991-93 and in 1995. Offensive line coach Gregg Smith also served on Erickson’s staff in Pullman.

More recently, wide receivers coach Steve Broussard came to ASU this season after spending three years on the Cougars’ staff.  Broussard was an All-Pac-10 performer while playing for WSU.

Hargis may see playing time

Medically cleared to play for the first time this season, ASU offensive lineman Jon Hargis said he would leave his playing time up to the coaches.

On Wednesday, his coach wouldn’t rule out giving his senior some playing time right away.

“He has looked good,” Erickson said. “He looked good yesterday watching him.  He’s moving around [and] he feels as good as he does before he got hurt. It is the matter of him getting into football shape, so we’ll see. There is a possibility of him getting in Saturday, I won’t say no.”

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×