Halloween was the one night of the year we used to treasure as kids. It was literally about the treasure for us kids who would dress up as a pirate to steal it, or a dragon to protect it. To this day, young boys and girls everywhere reach down to connect Velcro hook to Velcro loop, fastening their light-up sneakers a little tighter than usual, because maybe for the first time, they do so with a purpose. You’d pick your weapon, be it sword or wand or fake Styrofoam abs, and you were out to steal the night — sometimes tricking, but always treating. Your treasure was candy. Things were simple.

Things have changed a bit — now it’s even simpler, yet more scandalous.

Nowadays Halloween is more like the PG-13 version of your trips to the zoo when you were younger. I see the monkeys and the tigers. I see the lions and the zebras. I see just about every other jungle cat and animal you can list off.

And I don’t know when they stopped selling cotton candy at the zoo either, but now there’s only eye candy. Ladies, are you starting to get the picture?

Would it hurt to see some originality this year? It’s hard to even give you as much credit as I have thus far, because really you only wear the animal ears upon your perfectly sculpted head of hair, combo’d with a recycled dress that’s gotten progressively shorter over the years, and those heals that hurt your feet. Scratch the eye candy analogy; it’s an eyesore.

There’s no simple solution to this; I don’t want to strip any of the freedoms that college has given you. So start somewhere easy. Get creative and do something out of the “norm.”

Halloween outfits should compliment the wearer, showing off his or her creativity and accentuate a desire to stand out in the pack. It’s the time you express yourself.

Halloween is about laughter and becoming something you’re not for a whole night. Morals don’t apply to this rule.

Just because you are growing up doesn’t mean your definition of Halloween should change, either. Go impress your friends with the hard work and originality you put into your outfit. Make sure to laugh more than the year before and stick with your friends. And, no, we’re never too old for candy, so even eat a piece or two. Or five. Hundred.

Bring your best this year. I want to see Tron, packs of Jersey Shore guidos and guidettes, and blue aliens from Pandora. Give me Lady Gaga. Give me the Princess and the Frog. Round up the Toy Story gang and the Ninja Turtles.

Oh, and one last thing: no scantily clad vampires this year. Please, your sparkly diamond skin will blind us all.

Send last minute costume ideas to Shelby at shmoore3@asu.edu

×