“Life as We Know It” Starring: Katherine Heigl, Josh Duhamel Pitchforks: 3.5 out of 5 Rating: PG-13 Opens: Oct. 8

As the need grows more and more urgent for you to make plans this weekend, pay particular attention to the new movie starring Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel that opens Friday. “Life as We Know It” is a refreshing break from the current string of releases promoting betrayal, greed, the devil and being buried alive.

Opening on a blind date between Holly Berenson (Heigl), an up and coming caterer, and Eric Messer (Duhamel), a promising network sports director and overall “dude,” the two immediately set the mood for the rest of the film. There is a shared disdain (and obvious attraction) for one another that the audience can comfortably enjoy laughing at.

As is the case with most romantic comedies, something dreadful has to present itself to counter all the light-hearted tomfoolery. This comes with the news of the unexpected deaths of their mutual friends, the Novaks. Heigl and Duhamel are named the godparents of now orphaned baby Sophie and are given full custody.

As anyone would in a similar situation, these two struggle with the fine details of the situation, but they are not alone. With a stellar supporting cast, the two juggle both their careers and baby Sophie with relative ease. “Life as We Know It” even manages to present a comical, yet compassionate Child Protective Service agent.

Thankfully for Heigl, this follow-up to her most recent release “Killers” re-instates her as not only a leading lady in Hollywood, but also one that her audience can count on to make better films. And, given the recent success that Duhamel has had with light-hearted romantic comedies, one can certainly see him returning to either play opposite Heigl again, or perhaps another young Hollywood star.

“Life as We Know It” does what every romantic comedy needs to do and more. Unlike most films that fit this recipe, “Life as We Know It” does an exceptional job at showing how a real relationship could develop from such a random and chaotic situation.

With help from director Greg Berlanti and writers Ian Deitchman and Kristin Rusk Robinson, the entire cast of “Life as We Know It” present very real characters with very real emotion. The cast works with amazing cohesion and sense of comedic timing throughout the entirety of the film. This is a wonderfully bright and upbeat movie that really speaks to the selflessness that many people have when it comes to helping and looking after those we care most about.

“Life as We Know It” is not without those little moments that real life also gives us. There are moments when both the characters and audience need to give serious thought as to what is best in the given situation, and it certainly helps to have Heigl and Duhamel show us the outcome.

Whether this weekend is a scheduled date night or not, “Life as We Know It” will serve as the perfect excuse for a break from life as you know it, and in the process give you something to enjoy and laugh at.

Reach the reporter at jbfortne@asu.edu

×