SEEING IS BELIEVING

(In reponse to Oday Shahin’s Oct. 11 column “Study abroad program sends wrong message.”)

It seems that there is a new trend going around. As soon as the word “Israel” is mentioned in an article it warrants an immediate, lengthy response full of impressive “statistics” defaming Israel. I believe a great many students share my opinion when I say that there is nothing more irritating than being prevented from exploring a new and interesting idea because of the endless background droning of “apartheid and racism.”

[Kyle Patton’s Sept. 26 article “Israel study abroad program expands”] mentions that Professor Don Benjamin, a noted scholar in School of Historical, Philosophical & Religious Studies, has been taking trips to the Middle East since 1984, and “when it comes down to where he’d rather be, it’s Israel.” This is most interesting. Would Professor Benjamin ardently support the idea of students studying in Israel if it was teeming with racism? Perhaps, during his many trips, Professor Benjamin simply did not notice Israel’s apartheid policies. However, this does not seem very likely; it seems more likely that there is simply little truth to what Mr. Shahin is claiming.

Rather than begin a drawn out discussion, I will simply invite everyone to research Oday Shahin’s “facts” themselves. I do not mean half-heartedly Google search “Middle East conflict” and read the top hits. I mean read the New York Times [and] read online journals of reporters who dedicate their professional lives to finding the true facts.

Shrugging off stale arguments like these “apartheid” and “racism” claims is becoming second nature to anyone who has taken the time to educate [him or herself] about the Middle East. My only problem is that responses like Oday Shahin’s too often keep us from doing new and exciting things.

Gabi Wasserman

Reader

×