ASU men’s golf in second at Prestige

The ASU men’s golf team returned to the fairways and greens on Sunday afternoon at The Prestige at PGA West.

In ASU’s first ever appearance in the tournament, the five Sun Devils finished off an impressive round one in second place.

ASU combined to fire a team score of 290 to finish two over par. The Sun Devils head into day two trailing California by only four strokes.

The Sun Devils fielded a lineup consisting of junior Phil Francis, senior Scott Pinckney, senior Jesper Kennegard, senior Thomas Buran, and junior Spencer Fletcher.

Buran led the way for ASU in round one by shooting a stellar day one score of 68. Buran’s score places him in sole possession of second place and only one stroke away from the individual lead.

Stanford’s Cameron Wilson occupies the top spot after unleashing a red-hot 67 to open the tournament.

Kennegard also came out firing in round one for ASU as he shot a 71. Kennegard’s scorecard benefitted greatly from his four consecutive birdies on holes 7 through 10.

Pinckney was the next highest finishing Sun Devil as his score of 75 placed him in a tie for 31st place. Francis finished one stroke behind Pinckney with a score of 76 and in a tie for the 38th position.

Fletcher rounds out the Sun Devil lineup, knotted in a tie for 48th place. Fletcher finished five over par at 77.

×