Tennis sees mixed results in day one of ITA Regionals

The first day of competition at the ITA Regional Championships in San Diego, Calif., brought mixed results for the ASU women’s tennis team.

The Sun Devils advance three singles players to the third round and one doubles team to the second round.

In the first round of singles play, ASU junior Sianna Simmons took on UA junior Sarah Landsman. Simmons fell to Landsman 6-2, 6-2.

ASU senior Ashlee Brown dropped her first match to USC freshman Hayley Miller.

Freshman Jacqueline Cako had a first round bye and defeated Hawaii junior Magdalena Ploch 6-3, 6-4.

ASU junior Michelle Brycki won her first round match as well, topping Hawaii junior Aglae Van den Bergh 6-0, 6-2. In her second match, Brycki lost to Pepperdine sophomore Marie Zalameda in two sets, 6-4, 6-4.

After a first round bye, senior Micaela Hein defeated UA freshman Lacey Smyth 6-4, 6-2 in the second round.

Sophomore Hannah James beat San Diego State junior Sierra Ellison in her second match, 6-3, 6-1.

In the first round of doubles play, Simmons and James lost 8-3 to the Long Beach State duo of senior Deborah Armstrong and junior Anais Dallara.

Brycki and Brown lost 8-6 to UCLA juniors Maya Johansson and Andrea Remynse.

Hein and Cako had a bye in doubles play, and play their second round match Friday.

Want to get the latest ASU news in your inbox every day? Sign up for our new e-mail newsletter.

×