New faces, goals as basketball set to begin

With temperatures outside in the Valley still nearing triple digits, it doesn’t feel like basketball season is nearing.

The ASU men’s basketball team is set to open practice on Friday in preparation for the 2010 season.

“Were excited about the beginning of a new year as always this time of year,” ASU coach Herb Sendek said. “At this time of year you have just monumental work in front of you but on Friday at 5 o’clock we’ll get started.”

When practice begins, the Sun Devils will be with seven newcomers on their roster.  Thus far, they have meshed well with ASU’s veterans.

“This group has been easy,” senior guard Jamelle McMillan said of the newcomers.  “They ask a lot of questions, they come in and spend a lot of time in the gym.”

With McMillan and fellow seniors Ty Abbott and Rihards Kuksiks in the locker room, the new faces have plenty of leadership and guidance.

“The main thing is, you have to keep an open mind,” McMillan said. “You can’t sit around and think too much, you can’t take what people say personally. They don’t do that. They are completely engaged in what they do. I’m extremely excited to work with them.”

Felix shows off vertical

Sophomore forward Carrick Felix is one of the newcomers expected to contribute this season.

Originally from Goodyear, Felix transferred to ASU from the College of Southern Idaho and is already turning heads.

During a recent test of his vertical, Felix knocked all of the bars on the piece of equipment that measures vertical. In simpler terms, that’s 44.5 inches.

“I don’t even know how I did that to tell you the truth,” Felix said. (ASU strength and conditioning coach Rich Wenner) was pretty amazed that I got all of them.”

Last season, Felix tested how high he can reach on the backboard.

“I tried last year and I think I got my hand just over the square on the backboard,” Felix said.

Preseason honors for Abbott

Coming off an All-Pac 10 season, Ty Abbott is garnering some national attention in the preseason.

Abbott is one of 50 players to be nominated for the John Wooden Award preseason watch list for the nations’ top player.

“It is an honor to be mentioned with the other 50 guys, but it is only preseason,” Abbott said. “We haven’t even got to the season yet. I don’t really look too much into that.”

Abbott worked hard in the offseason to improve his game, including spending time studying top NBA players and their tendencies.

“They constantly get defenders out of position,” Abbott said. “[That] makes them have to catch up or bring a second defender so they can either make a teammate better and pass it or they will beat them so bad to where they have to foul.  The easiest way to put points on the board is from the free throw line.”

Crucial non-conference

Last year the Pac-10 saw just two teams make the NCAA Tournament and owned a negative reputation much of the year.

A lot of that had to do with a poor showing in big non-conference games early in the season.

To shed the negative vibe surrounding the conference, Sendek thinks it is important that everyone in the Pac-10 plays well early on in 2010.

“You can't erase what happens in November and December as we learned last year,” Sendek said. “To get the best RPI and best position ourselves to get as many teams into the NCAA Tournament, its good for our league to win all our non-conference games and have each team do well in the non-conference.”

Up next

After opening practice Friday, ASU will have almost a month of practice before its first game. The Sun Devils will take on New Mexico on the road Nov. 16 to kick off the season.

Until then, it is all about preparing the newcomers for the grind of the season.  According to McMillan, a great amount of progress has already been shown.

“A lot of work has been done and a lot of hours and sweat have been put into these gyms and weight rooms,” McMillan said. “Huge improvement from our freshman from summer session one until now, body, physique-wise, as well as mentally, I’m extremely proud of them.”

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×