First impressions mean everything.

According to a new study by Ohio State University, the direction of your relationship with someone new is figured out within three minutes of meeting. The effect of an initial conversation sets the stage for the rest of the time you know that person.

This study could be true in certain situations, but think about how many times you have misjudged someone. Especially when it comes to dating, sometimes it’s not that easy to judge based off a first impression. Sure, there are some people you meet that you wouldn’t ever consider dating, but even after a three-minute conversation you might not know exactly what your impression is if you’re the least bit interested in them.

The first impression with the opposite sex really comes from the first date, not the initial meeting.

About a month ago, a guy in one of my classes asked me out. We had been texting and flirting with each other for a while so I was excited for the date. It was going well until he didn’t have enough cash for the entry into the comedy show he asked me to go to. I’m n  ot old-fashioned, but I firmly believe that whoever asks for the date should pick up the tab.

After that first “date” I got my real first impression of the guy and I thought he was cool, but just as a friend.

People dread the first date because they are nervous about the kind of impression they give off. The good thing for guys is that they have a longer period of time to make an impression on us.

ItsJustLunch.com surveyed 38,912 singles and found that men could determine five minutes into a date whether he wants to see a woman again, while it takes women an hour to decide, which definitely is more correct than deciding three minutes into meeting a potential love interest.

There are many ways to make a great first impression on a date. Here are a couple tips for your next big night out.

For men and women it’s important to relax and be yourself. Remember it’s not a job interview and have a casual conversation instead of constantly asking questions. It makes the other person feel nervous and you don’t want to interrogate him or her.

If you are interested in them, then listen to them. People love good listeners. You know how frustrating it is talking to someone who is obviously not listening to you. If you are busy texting on a date, the other person isn’t going to want to see you again.

Everyone makes snap judgments, however there are so many things that factor into your first impression of someone. For the most part you can’t make a solid impression in three minutes unless you really offend someone. Give someone the benefit of the doubt and go on that first date and then make a decision based off a real first impression.

Reach Lindsey at lskupfer@gmail.com

×