Osweiler returns to practice as ASU prepares for Cal

Sophomore quarterback Brock Osweiler returned to practice Wednesday after missing two weeks of practice with a back injury.

Osweiler took all of the snaps behind redshirt junior Steven Threet because Samson Szakacsy was excused from practice.

“Brock is pretty healthy so we let him take all of the turns,” ASU coach Dennis Erickson said. “Sam will be back tomorrow.”

After sitting out and missing time, Erickson was pleased with how Osweiler practiced.

“He did OK for not doing anything the last two weeks,” Erickson said. “I thought he threw well. It looks like his back is okay. I was pretty happy with him.”

Mid-season honors

At the mid-way point of the season, a few publications release their preseason honors and a couple of Sun Devils made the cut.

Sophomore linebacker Vontaze Burfict and senior punter Trevor Hankins were named to Phil Steele’s First Team Midseason All Pac-10 team.

Junior wide receiver Mike Willie and freshman running back Deantre Lewis were named to the third team offense, while junior cornerback Omar Bolden was named to the third team defense.

Junior defensive tackle Lawrence Guy was named a quarterfinalist for the Lott Award, which is given to the defensive player of the year in college football, while taking into account off the field character as well as on field performance.

Bowl projections

It is also the time of the year for bowl game projections. ASU needs four more wins to be bowl eligible, but it is never too early to look ahead.

Both of ESPN.com’s bowl projectors have ASU playing in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco. Mark Schalbach has ASU matching up with Hawaii in the bowl, while Andrea Adelson projects Nevada as the Sun Devils’ opponent.

CBS Sports isn’t as confident in ASU; they don’t have the Sun Devils playing in a bowl game and selected UCLA to take the Pac-10’s final bowl slot.

Rivals.com has ASU playing in the Las Vegas Bowl, against Utah.

Right tackle battle

There is yet to be a decision as to who will start at right tackle on Saturday. Erickson is still undecided on whether juniors Dan Knapp or Aderious Simmons will get the start.

Knapp has never played right tackle in a game. He shifted from tight end to the offensive line this season, but has played exclusively at left tackle. Despite never playing there before, Erickson has been pleased with how Knapp has practiced there this week.

“There is an adjustment from one side to the other, in terms of stepping and the things that you have to do,” Erickson said. “He played tight end so he is used to playing both sides.”

Safety Decisions

Junior Clint Floyd will get the start at safety this week, opposite of senior Max Tabach.  Erickson likes what each brings to the table against California.

“It is a good group for this week,” Erickson said. “Max is very physical, which we are going to need because they run the football. Then again, on the other side of the coin they do a lot of different things formation wise, like shifting and things like that, so you have to have somebody back there to direct everybody and Clint does a good job of that.”

Pflugrad Ready To Go

Junior wide receiver Aaron Pflugrad returned to practice this week and will play Saturday.  Pflugrad missed the Washington game with a turf toe injury.

“He’s pretty close to 100 percent,” Erickson said. “He’ll play, without a question.”

Reach the reporter at andrew.gruman@asu.edu

×