Potent ASU offense could flourish against Cal

Take away the turnovers that have hindered its ability to score points and the ASU football team’s turnaround is stunning.

ASU comes into its matchup against California on Saturday ranked 20th in the country (FBS) in total yardage. In 2009 the Sun Devils ranked 91st in total offense and in 2008 they ranked 100th.

Redshirt junior quarterback Steven Threet acknowledges the significant jump under first-year offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone, but believes that the Sun Devils can get better.

“I’m a little bit surprised because obviously it is a new system and it does take time, but at the same time I feel like with the guys we have, with the work ethics that we have, guys are in the film room, studying the playbook, watching film, and they are really putting in the effort to get better,” Threet said.

While Threet is third among the top 100 qualified FBS passers in interceptions with 11, he is also 22nd in total passing yards. The Sun Devils are 55th in the country in rushing offense, though they have been better against FBS competition.

Based on last week’s result, it would seem ASU has a golden opportunity to improve its numbers.

Cal was blown out last week against USC, giving up 48 points and over 600 yards of total offense. The Sun Devils scored 21 points against the Golden Bears last year at Sun Devil Stadium and accumulated nearly 350 total yards. ASU coach Dennis Erickson believes the Golden Bears will play differently at home.

“They got behind the other day and they were kind of digging out of a hole so that game to me you just have to throw out,” Erickson said. “They are a good team when you look at them, and they have a lot of guys who have returned from last year. We are going to have to play as well as we can play to be in the game.”

Right tackle competition

Tackle and redshirt junior Dan Knapp, who has been recovering from a sprained knee suffered against Oregon, has gotten snaps the last two weeks at right tackle after starting the season as the starting left tackle.

Redshirt junior transfer Aderious Simmons has received most of the snaps at right tackle, as the team reconfigured its offensive line in Knapp’s absence.

With redshirt freshman Evan Finkenberg seemingly firmly entrenched at left tackle, it means that the right tackle position is now a competition between Knapp and Simmons. Newfound depth on the offensive line has given Erickson and offensive line coach Gregg Smith the luxury to hold authentic intra-competition during practice.

“Dan Knapp and Aderious Simmons are competing this week and I am not sure who I am going to start yet,” Erickson said. “[I’m able to] kind of watch them compete against each other during practice and I haven’t been able to do that the last few years. It’s good for both of them, but Knapp is looking good.”

Reach the reporter at nick.ruland@asu.edu

Want to get the latest ASU news in your inbox every day? Sign up for our new e-mail newsletter.

×