Volleyball excited for Pac-10 expansion

STILL CLIMBING: Senior outside hitter Sarah Reaves crouches low for a bump during a match earlier this season. Over the weekend, Reaves moved into third place on the ASU career kills list, surpassing former volleyball standout Amanda Burbridge. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

The 2011 season will mark the beginning of a new era for the ASU volleyball team. The Sun Devils (9-12, 4-5 Pac-10) will transition into the newly formed Pac-12 Conference.

Utah and Colorado are set to join the Pac-10 next season, thus bringing two programs with strong volleyball histories to the conference.

Due to the arrival of two schools, four conference games will be added to each team’s schedule. Each member of the conference will then forfeit a weekend of non-conference play to accommodate the added matches in the conference schedule.

ASU coach Jason Watson believes Utah and Colorado joining the Pac-10 will not only benefit the conference, but also add to its already ultra-competitive reputation.

“It’s good for the conference,” Watson said. “It certainly makes it an increasingly challenging Pac-12 schedule. In terms of quality of volleyball play, it maintains if not over the next couple years it gets better. That’s another challenge to all of us who are looking to make this run to the NCAA tournament, looking to get to the top half of the Pac-10.”

Sun Devils get poll votes After splitting the series in Washington last weekend, the Sun Devils received votes in the AVCA Top-25 poll again this week.

ASU received 10 votes in this week’s poll, which was released yesterday.

The Sun Devils’ pair of upset victories over previously ranked No. 5 Southern California and then ranked No. 10 UCLA, earned them 31 votes in last week’s poll.

Despite the small dose of national recognition, ASU believes there is plenty of room to improve.

“We’re heading in a great direction,” said Cat Highmark, junior setter. “We have to make sure we are focusing at home and away. We have to take care of the little things and make sure we are staying together as a team especially on the road.”

Reaves making history As her final season in maroon and gold proceeds into the second half of conference play, senior outside hitter Sarah Reaves shows no signs of slowing down.

After three strong seasons in the desert, Reaves continue to solidify herself in ASU volleyball history.

“Sarah Reaves has evolved, especially the last couple of weeks, into the athlete we all saw in her,” Watson said. “She’s competing at a much higher level. She’s playing volleyball at a much higher level. She’s making sure that when it’s all said and done for her that there are no regrets.”

Reaves now occupies third place on the ASU career kills list. In the Sun Devils’ two victories against USC and UCLA, Reaves surpassed former ASU standout Amanda Burbridge for third place.

Reaves also took home ASU Athlete of the Week honors for her performances against USC and UCLA.

“We’re proud of her because of what it is that she’s doing,” Watson said. “For me as her coach and having been with her now for three years, I really think that who she is and who she’s becoming is what we want our program to be and become.”

Injury Update Sophomore outside hitter Ashley Kastl continues to be sidelined with a lingering shoulder injury. Kastl is limited in practice, and is not expected to return to competition in the near future.

Junior outside hitter Sofie Schlagintweit, who has missed the entire 2010 season, is making significant progress in her rehabilitation.

“She’s progressing really well,” Watson said. “We’re hoping that she can take some swings in some controlled situations within the next two weeks, which is way ahead of schedule. She’s worked really hard.”

Reach the reporter at gregory.dillard@asu.edu

×