The world of celebrity cheating scandals is at an all time high since Tiger Woods, and it seems more celebrity couples are having infidelity issues. Is this really shocking?

In light of the recent allegations against Brett Favre, the public seems to still be surprised by fame’s incentive to cheat. But back in 1914, baseball’s Babe Ruth was suspected of cheating. It’s the same story with a different name and face.

From Elizabeth Taylor and Eddie Fisher to Jesse James and Sandra Bullock, cheating happens in the celebrity world all the time. Just as we were getting over Angelina stealing Brad from Jennifer, the next scandal was right around the corner.

Political scientist and Nobel Peace Prize winner Henry Kissinger once said, “Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.” And he’s completely right. I don’t like to stereotype, but celebrities and people with power should be expected to cheat. Do I think all of them do it? No, but definitely more than half do.

This isn’t groundbreaking, though. Even Thomas Jefferson was accused of cheating on his wife. Between athletes and politicians, you can expect these acts of infidelity to continue because they can. Would anyone ever turn down a famous person coming on to him or her? No way. You may think you would do the right thing, but I’m willing to bet that 95 percent of you would never turn down an attractive celebrity.

Many articles I have seen about infidelity are about men who cheat on their wives, but don’t believe for one second that female celebrities aren’t doing the same thing. You can’t feel bad for someone like LeAnn Rimes, who cheated on her husband with another married man, or Sienna Miller, who played victim during Jude Law’s affair with the nanny and then turned around and lusted after a married man.

To be honest, I’m excited for celebrity women to start using sex addiction as their cheating excuse. People like sex, and celebrities that can sleep with anyone they want are going to. I don’t really buy that these people are addicted to sex. Where do you draw a line between enjoying it and being addicted? Many of these celebrities need to push blame on something and are unwilling to take the fall for their actions.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, basically the bible of psychiatry and psychology, does not recognize the disease to be real. The definition of addiction includes two major characteristics: tolerance and psychical withdrawal. Tolerance is when your body is used to and requires the substance. If they don’t get the substance, addicts start to have psychical withdrawals. I don’t think we have seen any celebrity who is sweating, having trouble breathing or vomiting at the time they are caught.

Do their indiscretions make them bad people? Depends on whom you’re talking to, but does it make them bad at what they do? No. Though we don’t like their actions, it doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy their movies or their sports teams.

At some point we just have to realize that infidelity will never end in the Hollywood spotlight. Even celebrities you idolize have skeletons in their closet, and it’s only a matter of time before the National Enquirer breaks another John Edwards or Tiger Woods story. Next time though, you will be prepared for it.

×