Circa Survive keeps fans after a long absence

With a three-year recording and two-year touring hiatus, the boys of Circa Survive, an electronic indie rock band, are finally back with a third album, which debuted earlier this year, and an extensive touring schedule.

The latest album, “Blue Sky Noise,” was released in April this year and has received the acclaim of many reviewers. Channing Freeman of Sputnik Music called it “superb.”

Front man Anthony Green and his group headed back to Mesa’s Nile venue on Nov. 2. They originally played for the Phoenix area in July.

This tour has brought an exciting new album as well as some exciting gifts for Circa Survive’s die-hard fans. The Creature Club, for those who are up to paying $40 a year, is quite possibly one of the most extensive fan clubs any band has created.

Upon joining the Creature Club, members get immediate access to closed posts in Circa Survive’s blog, which include old and personal photographs, personal tour journals, set lists, live recordings, b-sides, demos of unreleased tracks and cover songs. On top of that, every tour has a new pack for members to download at the merchandise tables of shows with a USB flash drive that each member receives.

Members of the club can enter sound checks, hang out with the band, get first choice of merchandise at a discount and have their flash drive filled with the packet of 50 personal photos, five videos, a 15-track mix tape of unsigned bands and an unreleased demo.

This tour, the boys have had members come on stage for a song and sing back-up vocals as well. That isn’t even where the money comes in — limited edition gifts are sent to members throughout the year.

The bandmates’ inspiration for such a thorough club comes from being fans themselves.

In an interview with The State Press, guitarist Colin Frangicetto said if he could have the same deal with Radiohead “I would be wetting myself.”

Though fans missed the boys while they were away, the time off from touring was not a rest by any means.

Frangicetto said that changes in management and labels took one year alone, while another year was spent writing at the Creek House, a secluded house that the boys stayed in to rehearse and record demos on the east coast.

On top of continuing Circa Survive music, front man Green worked on his own album, “Avalon.”

Even as they begin touring again, all of the boys are dealing with huge crossroads in their family life. Green is now a father and recently married, bassist Nick Beard was married last Christmas and Frangicetto is getting married next May. No matter the schedules they juggle, Frangicetto says they plan to never take that much time off again.

“We’re all growing up,” said Frangicetto. “But we’re trying to keep the momentum and not disappear forever.”

While they have been known for taking their fair share of time off, Frangicetto says they still have a lot of touring ahead.

“There are no signs of stopping right now ... if this is what happens when we go away for three years. We’ve been playing venues larger than we’ve ever played; selling out shows we’ve never sold out. There’s no reason to stop or no feelings to stop,” said Frangicetto.

Reach the reporter at lkjorda1@asu

Want to get the latest ASU news in your inbox every day? Sign up for our new e-mail newsletter.

×