Details from a Pentagon study on the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, which bans gays, lesbians, and bisexuals from openly serving in our armed forces, were leaked to The Washington Post earlier this week.

Though the report is not due to President Barack Obama and the White House until Dec. 1, The Post received word that the report shows repealing this discriminatory ban would have little to no affect on the military’s combat readiness.

The repeal has the support of the Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Joint Chief of Staff Chairman Adm. Mike Mullen. With confirmation from the Pentagon’s report and the support of two of the highest officials in the military, there should be no reason that this law should be in place.

However, Senate Republicans, true to their fashion, have stalled it. Senator John McCain, R-Ariz., led a filibuster in September against the defense bill, which houses the repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy as an amendment. As the 111th Congress heads back to Washington one last time, this issue is on the docket. It is time for Senate Republicans to embrace this vote.

Not only has Obama called for the repeal of this horrid policy, but Log Cabin Republicans, an organization that advocated in favor of gay and lesbian Republicans, are also fighting it in the courts in the case Log Cabin Republicans v. United States of America.

This is now an issue that has bipartisan support. Senate Republicans need to realize this and not stand in the way of progress. A vote for repeal is a vote for America’s future, but the very senator that this state elected in November refuses to realize this.

According to Politifact.com, McCain told a group of students at Iowa State University in 2006 that he would be open to changing the law.

“[T]he day that the leadership of the military comes to me and says, 'Senator, we ought to change the policy,' then I think we ought to consider seriously changing it because those leaders in the military are the ones we give the responsibility to,” he said.

Unfortunately, McCain, who used to be an open-minded moderate, has a short memory. Top military brass voiced support for rolling back this statute. In February, both Gates and Mullen testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee where McCain is the ranking minority member.

It is disheartening for my state’s senator to hold up the progress of our military. The Pentagon has found that repealing this policy will not affect the productivity of our forces. Reversing this law has bipartisan support and is backed by military officials.

It is unfortunate that a group of 43 senators have voted not to act on ending this outdated ban. Republicans in the upper chamber must find the courage to vote for this repeal, even though it will enrage many social conservatives. Allowing gays to serve openly in the military may anger their dwindling base, but history will judge them in a positive light and they will earn the respect of more Americans.

One recent poll conducted by CNN showed that 78 percent of Americans favor repealing the law. An issue that attracts this much support should be a legislative slam-dunk, especially in a political atmosphere where no one can agree on much. I urge those 43 senators who are holding up progress to come down from their ivory tower and listen to the American people.

×